1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Go BUY GTA Chinatown Wars!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by wonka8869, Apr 17, 2009.

1. wonka8869

wonka8869 Member

So GTA, the biggest franchise in gaming, just launched last month on one of the most sold game machines of all time.

Expected to sell half a million by analysts, Rockstar was happy

The Game, however, only sold 89,000 copies.

I'm guessing a big number of people who didnt buy the game downloaded it for free. I am not admonishing you all for downloading games, but if the developers do not make money, we will never see games like that again on the DS.

So, GO BUY IT.

2. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Could be because it's 18+, some stores ask for identification if you want to buy a 18+ game.

And parents might not let kids who are 13/14 play GTA.
    My dad is against it too.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I personally reckon it's the downloading of roms from sites like this one...

That's why I don't download new games unless it's from a company I hate or a series that I dislike (EA, THQ, and games that you know will be bad like big muther truckers...that sucked glad I downloaded that and not paid for it).

I want to keep the business alive in some part so I do what I can-house of the dead overkill for example, I bought the big bang box simply because they might port 4 if it sells well enough...

I ain't letting this end up like resident evil DS-thanks to that they changed thier minds on making a port of 2-and umbrella chronicles destroyed any chance of a port of 5 for the wii :(

4. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

Hey - i bought it, but what's the point in saying this when you might only get a few people listen... one person can't change the world. Plus its age rating is another contributory factor. Romulation is only a small part of the problem. The big muck up made was by the anlaysts, they over estimated the number by far, it's their fault. They should look at the sales of other games and compare them to that. Personally what i would have done is find out the average number of a game sold and look at how many DS consoles had been sold. Then work it out from there, they looked at the fact it was a GTA franchise and thought, aaah f*** it, it's Grand Theft Auto, it'll sell a million easy, now what's the minimum i expect to sell, errrmmm 500,000 i suppose, there you go now give me my money! :D

5. pat raimondo

pat raimondo Member

I bought gta from walmart, my mom works in electronics, i thought gta ds would be flyin off the shelves she told me it ddnt do great in sales, i was shocked,
    its so true, if yer gonna support a company, its gotta be rockstar, gta cw is great, i would love 2 see them take it up to the next level on future releases, b4 i had a r4 i spent stupid $$ money on crappy games that i ended up losing a ton on, I own 3 games, phantom hourglass, american sk8land, and gta cw,
    now w the dsi, i wont be surprised to see even crappier games being released, take a ds add more crap i dont need to it, add a i to the name!!!

6. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

there are 67,708 chinatown downloads on RomU's counters right now. but the game actually isn't that great. kudos, good work but also good try. my opinion maybe a 6/10

7. ultra

ultra Guest

the number of units sold shouldn't be the biggest concern until the acknowledgement of how much it took to produce the product. remember that producing games on the current nintendo systems is much more affordable then producing them on a superior system. you must also remember that the sales of a game on a nintendo system is not about short term sales but long term sales.

have you ever noticed on those npd data that if you produce a game that has consumer wanted quality, the game will continue to be sold even after months have passed.

8. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

err. over 10 years on a lot of instances. of which only a few are from actual manufacturer. then they get downloaded due to lack of availability and eBay gougers of normally pirated software listed as genuine. :-\

manufacturers should look into gold editions in combo pack forms, imagine releasing 2 FF DS games on one cart. for the price of 1 a few years after the original was stopped being sold or stop selling the original a year sooner and then gold before all interest dies off? production is a lot cheaper than development.

to hell, im losing topic.

9. Aarun M

Aarun M Member

the rom on dis website doesn't work n then the rom in the gta notice thread form megaupload works but the wifi won't work got any tips??

10. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

update your card's firmware to the newest and download the one off RomU's site.

11. LionsTeeth

LionsTeeth Member

I am pretty sure Rockstar HQ is built on a giant mountain of cash with American $100 bills for wallpaper. There are probably better places I could throw my money, maybe at struggling games companies or at poor country that has been forced into poverty through our western greed?

12. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

Wow! You're right
    26270 downloads on here alone for the E version
    43017 DOWNLOADS FOR U VERSION!

This is just RomU!

13. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

i find this statement hilarious

the thought that rockstar are quaking over the sales over a month old game is stupid

also telling people to go and buy even with a slight chance they would actually listen is incredibly naive

14. DJbruce

DJbruce Member

Give me the cash and I'd gladly. I had already bought GTA IV and the GTA collection of off steam last year. Anyway the game has only been out for a month, Give it time.

15. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Like I said once before, I buy a game if it's good, otherwise I play it on my flashcart for a little, then delete it.

the new GTA sucked IMO, thus why I never bought it.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ANYONE who expects a game to sell half a million copies within the first month is a dumbass with no grasp of reality or how the computer games market works.

17. BlackFlameNG

BlackFlameNG Active Member

GTA IV, Halo 3, RE5 and Pokemon D/P are a few examples that did. Honestly, lots of games break a million in a month and some even break a million in a day. Lay off the dude.

Anyway, this is more or less how the DS itself seems to work with sales nowadays. It sells a small bit in the first week but doesn't experience the same decline in sales that consoles do. By the end of the year, the game will have continued to sell with solid figures and will probably end up with more than a million in sales. And it'll just keep selling after that like Mario Kart DS is doing (was in the top 10 of March even though it's four years old). Don't worry, it'll do well.

18. Nintendude92

Nintendude92 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I blame the month it came out in, and the console its on.

GTA vs several good rpgs vs An obscure platformer vs impending release of rhythm heaven and DSi.

Then we have a very light-hearted console that does not see M ratings very much.

19. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Thats another reason it won't sell, the idiots that label themselves as "hardcore gamers" (im not talking about them in general, just the stupider ones) will say the DS will never have any "good" games (in their opinion) thus most of them won't have a DS to play their GTA on