1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Glory days of ds over?/Should I move on?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Ulala, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Ulala

Ulala Member

When I got my Edge, I think it was Christmas 2008. Romulation's NDS roms were still up and there wasn't a planned release or much development of the 3DS at all, now a lot has changed since then, Romulation's NDS roms are down for good and the 3DS is just around the bend. I've since lost my Edge, it has now been lost several months, to the point where I think it's time to stop saying that it's lost, and perhaps time to say it is gone forever.

Just recently, though, I've really wanted to get back into Gaming using the DS, but to do this I'd need to buy an iEdge for my Dsi, and I really can't afford it right now. I'm 15 so a job isn't really an option (trust me, I've tried) until september, and the money that I earn in a job when I do get one will all be going towards the 3DS, so what do you think, is it worth the £20 it will set me back?

The pros is that I could play the Ds games and Gameboy games and If I were using my lite and my 3in1 Gameboy Advance games, giving me an easy all in one option for any games that I wanted to play from the past.

The cons is that there isn't really a long stretch of Ds games coming out, and there isn't the promise of more stellar titles like there was two years ago, infact...there isn't very much left except Layton and Pokemon.

Do you think it's worth coming back at this late stage?

2. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Just buy the 3DS, I guarantee it will be worth your purchase

3. Ulala

Ulala Member

Oh I'm going to, that's for sure, but in the meantime should I buy a flashcart?

4. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Hmm..since you said that you do not have enough money, why not save the money for future 3DS games?

5. Ulala

Ulala Member

Because i'm an impatient person. The 3DS is near my birthday and I'll be keeping money aside from it and from christmas. If I Really wanted to get a flash cart, I could go to the bother of doing a commision or something for one. The other two flashcarts that I have just now are an R4 clone which is awful, SO awful, and an EZ FLASH VI which doesn't seem to have a lot of support.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Oh for the love of...

I may be a pirate myself, but I respect the companies to know what I'm doing is wrong, try buying the real games and pay some respect...

I only pirate games made by ea, those bastards can suffer.

7. Ulala

Ulala Member

I do pay for the games seperately...this was never an issue which is why I'm wondering if it's worth it. I mean, is there going to be enough new games for the ds to warrant a new card? considering that I will also be buying the games.

What I mean is, is there a card that will allow me to play backups and backwards games easily and in the one place.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself correctly. I lose things very easily, and I like to keep games and things in their boxes etc, I hate carrying around carts and I always have my ds with me when I leave the house. Is there enough games being released in the future for the ds, so that It would be wise to put all my old games (and my new ones) onto a ds card and have everything in the one place, or is there only going to be a few, so carrying around a small amount of carts wouldn't be troublesome?

8. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

I have to admid i also download alot of games without having them,
    but if great games like Zelda comes out i want to buy the game, also because i want to support the makers!

9. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Most of you are ignoring his point entirely.
    He is merely asking whether or not it would be worth it to get back into DS gaming considering the upcoming releases. Ignore the rest if need be!

To answer this question -
    imo yes, there's pokemon, layton, golden sun, fire emblem, DQ6, kingdom hearts all still to come, and there has been a few noteworthy game lately aswell, you may of missed puzzle quest 2, DQ9 and maybe a few others which i forget.

Worth it, no? the 3DS is still a while off yet.

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...hrm.

Depends I guess, back when I was using pocket money for games I'd live on 2 games a year so i aimed at rpg's.

Right now the ds scene has yet to stop but the big stuff won't be going so easily...so the time might just be up...

...isn't there a golden sun ds coming or have I lost touch completely with the ds scene?

Also I used a large case for my games, I only carried max 6 games, and I'd stick to one game to play at a time (because I wanted each game clocked and back then I didn't have such an sort attention span like now :p )

My suggestion-if you beat a game but you enjoy it do invest in a ds case that can hold a few games and not keep the cases on you but at home...if you start swapping and changing, prehaps you should do what I do...

Dump your own games and save data, that way your supporting while keeping it all in one place.

It could still be worth buying a flash cart, not only for dumped games but for homebrew...DOOM FTW!

[me=hYpNoS]likes ds doom[/me]

11. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Why is a job not an option?

12. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

If you want to have a flashcard for just the homebrew then I recommended R4i-SDHC Upgrade (crap card with commercial games).

If you want to play both Commercial and homebrew, I should wait until the SuperCard DSTWO prices down.

13. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

you better safe up money for the 3ds and download a emulator for the ds on the computer maybe you can try that ???

14. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

What reason do you have for asking? or is it just to pry.
    He said he's 15 and he tried, plus he only said it wasn't an option until September.

How old are you? do you have a job Soluri? if not, why not?... wait, it's none of my business right, get my point.
    He said he already has a dsi.

15. Ulala

Ulala Member

Thanks very much. Yes I've tried multiple times but there isn't a small business nearby or anything that would hire me, babysitting will only give me an extra few quid and when it's gone it's gone. Hardly a source of consistant income.

Yeah I've got my DSi and I think I've decided on getting a DSTWO for it. I just need to work on commisions now or see if I can scrounge/help out around the house. Thanks a lot for your insight Usoppu, I can really see there is a lot left, and I really wouldn't want to be without my DSi.

16. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Well, I'm terribly sorry for asking -.- So I guess you just stay quiet if you want to know something?
    Maybe the reason I asked was because it's the easiest way to make money? And maybe someone could give advise if he couldn't get a job? Nah, that sure wasn't the reason -.-
    And I didn't see until september.
    And yes, I got a job in a bakery. And I know he's 15 and it's legal to work then, so I don't know why you said it again.
    Got a bad day or something?

17. Arron_zero

Arron_zero Well-Known Member

Chill both of you. I think you misinterpreted each other or maybe it's one way. Just shake it off ^^

And to answer the original poster, if I were you I would try my best to wait as 3DS has backward compatibility(right?). Or you could just buy a flashcart now and enjoy the DS and wait until the price of the 3DS drops before buying it =P
    I'm a pirate myself but only because I have no choice >< we don't get a lot of DS games around here so emulation is my one way to playing DS games.

18. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

I have nothing against you, sorry.
    It was just annoying to see everybody veering off from what he/she (maybe a girl now that i look back lol) was saying, that's all.