1. This forum is in read-only mode.

GBA BIOS files

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by pikafan, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pikafan

pikafan Member

Can anyone tell me where can I find two clean GBA BIOS files, one of the Japanese GBA and another from the American/European GBA, that have all checksums correct? The one I currently have is from an American/European GBA but the checksum for the CRC32 hash doesn't correspond to that of the original GBA BIOS file. Checksums of MD5 and SHA-1 hashes do correspond, though. More precisely, the correct checksum for the CRC32 hash should be 81977335 but what I get is 35739781. Also, the correct checksum for the SHA-256 hash must be fd2547724b505f487e6dcb29ec2ecff3af35a841a77ab2e85fd87350abd36570, however I don't know of a program that can verify the checksum of the SHA-256 hash.

By the way, is there any difference between the American and European GBA when it comes to the BIOS? I know the Japanese one is different, that's why I need it as well.

I'll be very grateful for anyone that can give me clean, original Japanese and American/European GBA BIOS files. ;)

P.S.: For the checksums, come here.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

www.romulation.net/files/hashcalc.zip

3. pikafan

pikafan Member

Thanks for the program. :) It can verify checksums of various hashes. 8) However, is it accurate? It's because the program I was using was AccuHash and it didn't calculate the same checksum for the CRC32 hash as HashCalc did. If it is accurate then I already have a clean, original American/European GBA BIOS binary, considering that it is the same for both regions. Now, where can I find a clean, original Japanese GBA BIOS binary?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I would assume its accurate since 2 of the 3 hashes match with the other program, which would suggest the crc32 implementation in your first program is bugged.

5. pikafan

pikafan Member

You're right and probably that's the case. I've checked the checksum for the SHA-256 hash, which seems to be the safest as it is the longest and it corresponds to the values of the hashes of an original American/European GBA BIOS binary.

I don't want to be any buggier but is there a difference between the American GBA and the European GBA regarding the BIOS or it is the same? I'd assume it would be the same because the intro that shows up the Game Boy and Nintendo logos when you turn on is the same for the GBA in both regions. Since the Japanese intro is different, then there are 2 BIOS binaries, one for the Japanese GBA and another for the American/European GBA. That is also why I need the binary of the Japanese GBA BIOS.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Why do you need the Japanese Bios, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm pretty sure the GBA isn't region locked.

7. pikafan

pikafan Member

I know it isn't region locked. I wouldn't need as long as it doesn't cause compatibility issues. But even so, where can I get it, just in case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.