1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Gauchos (Southside Brazilian) creates cheaper glasses-mouse for quadriplegics

Discussion in 'General News' started by phscarface, Sep 26, 2010.

1. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

The students of Mechatronics IFSUL-Federal Office for Education, Science and Technology-Rio Grande do Sul have created an eye-mouse in the discipline of Electronics, costing one hundred times smaller than the current options.
    While the price of similar glasses out at around R$5000,00, the invention of students Alexandre Sampaio, Cléber Boards and Filipe Carvalho, has cost R$ 50,00, around U$ 25,00.
    Instead of the original sensor, responsible for capturing the movements of the head and it costs R$100, the Gauchos used a mercury switch, with the same utility at a price of R$ 2,60, according to information from Zero Hour.
    The proposed project is to facilitate a quadriplegic who uses the computer. On screen, the mouse cursor moves according to the movements of the head of who uses it. To click, just blink.
    Completed and tested, the glasses-mouse were among the four projects included in the Fair IFSUL Brazilian Science and Engineering (Febrace) held last week in Sao Paulo.
    Participation in the fair won first place in the categories and Engineering Creativity, Innovation in third, two special distinctions of the Secretariat of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Sao Paulo, and place in a fair in Maranhão, in August.
    The mouse-glasses are already in the process of registration and the next step now is to put them on the market.

No pictures were still allowed.

Source: Game Vicio

2. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I can't see this idea catch on. Blinking is something we automatically do, not something we want to do whenever we want.

3. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

Hmm that's some good point there, imagine you cliking when you don't want to...
    But I wait for more information, there shoulda be a way to blink without clicking, I dunno...

4. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

I live in BRazil and I've never heard of this