1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Games refuse to play after screen goes black.

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by famicomman, Jun 22, 2012.

1. famicomman

famicomman Member

I just got my R4i 3DS cart yesterday and have been kinda fooling around with it a bit. I just now sat down to play New Super Mario and noticed when I enter a door in a castle the screen goes black in the shape of Mario's head and then the game stops playing. No sound, no anything. Just a plain black screen is there. I had a similar issue while playing Advance Wars Dual Strike after the first mission. What can I do to resolve this problem?

Post Merge: [time]1340342900[/time]
    Oh, extra information.
    Nintendo 3DS
    R4i 3DS
    Version 1.57b

2. famicomman

famicomman Member

New Super Mario Brothers and Advance Wars are very old games...

3. famicomman

famicomman Member

YEah, that's the one I'm using.

4. famicomman

famicomman Member

Awesome, thanks!

5. famicomman

famicomman Member

My 3DS is V4.1.0-8U, card firmware V1.57b

6. famicomman

famicomman Member

I have. How far did you play into each? In New Super Mario Brothers I encounter the error in World 1 at the first tower Bowser Jr drags Peach to. As I get to the top and enter the door to fight him the games freezes. Using cheats to unlock other worlds I've had no problems with other towers. In Advance Wars it freezes after the tutorial mission stats are over.

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Weird problem you have...

Follow these steps:

1. Format your flashcard
    2. Download the latest kernel
    3. Download the latest patch
    4. Copy the latest kernel and patch to the root of your SD card
    5. Boot up your R4 and select the latest patch. Follow the promps
    6. Go back to the computer and delete the latest patch
    7. Copy your games over into a 'Games' folder on the root of your SD card
    8. Play games

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Downloading the games from somewhere else will make zero difference, it's the same file.

9. famicomman

famicomman Member

What do you mean by latest patch? I have the newest version kernel available according to the manufacturer's website, this is the first I've heard of a patch.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

What is the manufacturer's website?

And the patch is a little piece of code that modifies the flashcard to support the latest 3DS and DSi versions.
    It sometimes has an effect on the card (a good effect), and therefore may fix the freezing problem.

11. famicomman

famicomman Member

This is their website. http://r4i-sdhc.com/ I installed the latest kernel and updated the card using a DS Lite. Prior to that it wouldn't even play on my 3DS.

12. famicomman

famicomman Member

I was able to duplicate the issue in the tower of world 3 also. Anyone else willing to help?