1. This forum is in read-only mode.

gameboy dead???

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by ultra, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

http://ds.ign.com/articles/805/805598p1.html

i don't think it's dead. what nintendo is probably planning is another virtual console type system except for the handheld system. the next ds iteration will probably have the same virtual console set-up just like the wii except for the ds, where you can download old gb, gbc and gba titles for a small fee and play them on the ds handheld. so maybe the next ds system will have a built in memory unit, probably 128 or 256 or it could be less maybe 64mb.

2. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Or have a Micro SD slot. :D That would be a great idea, though.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

All it says is that they won't be using the gameboy name, they'll still be releasing new handhelds. They'll just give them different names. Which is sorta odd since the gameboy brand is very strong. Though I do see the reasons, whenever someone says gameboy I still think back to the big blue brick that had a black and white screen.

4. MusicAddict911

I grew up on Gameboy but I think the DS is pretty innovative.

5. Seph

Yeah same here, except I grew up with the original one, not the advance one. So the gameboy brand to me is this awesome legacy handheld which was fun but don't have much power or innovation in today's world.

6. MusicAddict911

Meh, my first gameboy was the color but I don't know how old I was.

7. kenrich7

kenrich7 Member

I'm thinking that they will still need a lower-end system and a "premium" system like the DS. Just as how the GBA and the GBC were at one time both used for different gaming segments, they should also do the same for the DS.

Perhaps another slimmed down handheld gaming machine with just the DS slot might be the one, which would cost way below the $100 level. Or a more powerful version of the DS with maybe dual touchscreens or something or more processing power.

In other words, I'm saying that the Gameboy system mostly is used to attract a lot younger audiences while the DS is attracting older audiences (or anyone who doesn't want to play the mostly kiddy GBA games coming out nowadays).

8. MusicAddict911

Haha, I think dual touchscreens would make for confusing controls in some games.

9. Valkerion

Valkerion Well-Known Member

i think the problem with "gameboy" it seems to instil a little kid notion.

10. Seph

Exactly, GameBoy is THE brand for kids, perhaps Big N. wants to go for a more mature audience this time.

11. MusicAddict911

Hey there are some good games for GBA. :p

12. Seph

No doubt, but that doesn't change the fact that the connotations of GameBoy is kiddy like.

13. MusicAddict911

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just defending my Nintendo fanboyness. 8)

14. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

I still have my gray one sitting in my room :D...

Yeah, I remember the Game Boy days well...when games were up to $70 in stores and 8-bit was still the "big thing"...*sigh* Good times...now we have the DS Lite in the forefront.

I personally consider the DS to be to the GBA sort of what the GBA was to the GBC: the next generation of the line. While it might not have the original "Game Boy" label, it still feels that way to me.

GBA + 2nd screen + Wireless + 2nd game slot + hardware upgrade = DS.

15. jzwilliams

jzwilliams Member

indeed it is DEADER than dead dead dead. J/K... try homebrew games like bullethellgba

16. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

As was this thread.

Seriously, PWNED!

17. -a55-

-a55- Well-Known Member

nintendo should make a handheld with just a touch-screen

18. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ some games are good with this, though some need buttons, two touch screens would be interesting though, I han imagine a sci fi space fighter game that could use two touchscreens with the DS tipped on its side... :p

but awww poor gameboy, first handheld I ever had was that special edition pikachu yellow gameboy :)

19. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

first console I ever had was a second hand gameboy classic (the grey brick with the two-color screen)