1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[game will not start] The Urbz - The Sims in the City

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by LilJared xD, May 25, 2012.

1. LilJared xD

LilJared xD New Member

Using the VisualBoyAdvance version 1.7
    Laptop PC with Intel® Celeron® Processor U3600 (2M Cache, 1.20 GHz)
    Running a game I downloaded from this site here "https://www.romulation.org/GBA/1757-Urbz,-The-Sims-in-the-City-(UE)-(M6).rar/" and used UnrarX to decompress it.

Thing is.. I downloaded the file onto my iMac then decompressed it from there. I then copied the game onto my Laptop and then tried to play it off the emulator. An error message saying "Error opening image (x)" (x) being the location of the file. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Help?

ps. it's my first post, go easy? ;)

2. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Why not download it directly to the laptop?

3. LilJared xD

LilJared xD New Member

I have no internet access to my laptop. The emulator was also transferred from the iMac and i know it works because i played Final Fantasy on it with no problems.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

copy the rar onto your laptop and uncompress it on the laptop. Make sure its the PC version of the emulator and not the mac version.

5. LilJared xD

LilJared xD New Member

Decompressing it on the laptop isn't possible because I don't have the admin privileges for the program and getting them isn't an option. I made sure it was the PC version. Also, I can play the game on my Mac with the Mac version of the emulator and it works fine. The problem is making it work on the laptop.

EDIT: I got around the admin privileges and downloaded WinRAR onto the laptop and extracted the rar file. Same error message as before.

EDIT: Scratch that, I deleted it and extracted it again and it works o_O thanks Loony! :)

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

mac and windows are fundamentally different systems, so decompressing on the mac could result in a file that is unusable on the PC.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Since you are using the old 1.7 build of VisualBoyAdvance, I would highly recommend you to download & use VBA-M instead:

http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-visualboyadvance-m-svn-1097-mfc-info-and-download

This version of the GBA & Gameboy emulator has had extensive updates from the older 1.7 build that is still hosted on sites like emulatorzone, but sadly this emulator's link functionality is still being shelved & an explanation is also given on this forum link as to why.