1. This forum is in read-only mode.

game tester, it's real?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cafre, Jan 23, 2010.

1. cafre

cafre Active Member

someone knows if this job is real, and where i can find information about it.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It's a real job...

But from the blogs I read, it's crap (well for those who have the option to walk into a place).

Just google it I suppose..."video game tester" might work.

One blog from a girl who tried it, complained that she had to test the xbox360's power start up...

For 8 hours, all she did was push the on switch constantly, at varing points, sometimes quickly in sucession and other's after a few mins pause.

And having a diet of snack based goods like lolis and pizza with soft drink on top (they supplied these) really hurt, for this person isn't the gamer type...and eating this stuff days on end does indeed suck.

It's a temp job, like fast food from the sounds of it.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It's definitely not the same as they show on TV for those online college programs. "We just finished level 8 and we need to tighten up the graphics a bit!" That's just BS, designed to trick gullible people into handing money over to these online courses in hopes of getting an easy job where they just play games all day.

Even in real Universities, the Computer Sciences programs are full of Freshman who want to design and play video games. The ones who join up for that sole reason rarely last more than a year in the program.

It takes more than just a passion for video game playing to succeed in these programs.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Thankfully, in the ROM Hack community game testers (well the final version of a hack testers anyway) are a real occupation albeit one purely volunteer work thus you don't get paid.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes its a real job, but not particularly well paid.

6. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

It's a silly aspiration of little kids. Just like "video game creator".

7. agxthesorrow

agxthesorrow Well-Known Member

pal you should look to something else. do you want to work to be sitting playing games? how lazy of you...

8. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Have fun replaying level 1 of the hello kitty MMO. You won't get to choose what you want to play, or even how far. You'll just repeat and repeat and feed back bugs : D

9. bunnybag

bunnybag Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere that all they do is play a level over and over to test for bugs etc.

Sounds boring to me. If it's anything like watching my boyfriend replaying levels for Hitman to get a perfect score then I would definitely hate that kind of job. I really wanted to throw something at the tv because it was that tedious just seeing the same level.

10. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

I was a game tester for criterion games(Burnout series and Black)

My cousin was the team developer,and offered me a job with them.I took the job thinking it would be so much fun,but soon found out it was VERY HARD,and VERY BORING.

You have t do the most boring checks for bugs over and over again.

Example.

On burnout i had to drive around both sides of the track ,hugging the wall at 10mph,to see if there was any holes.
    Then i had to do it at 20mph on both sides,then 30,40,50,60,70,80 etc etc.I had to do this check 10 times.

That took me 1 week working 20 hours a day.

I then had to do silly silly tasks over and over again

I did it for 6 months before i quit,becasue i was losing my mind with bordom and frustration.

So if you think its a good job,think again.Game companies cant get testers anywhere,because its a boring and frustration job.I was on 13k a year.

11. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

Just repetitive tasks, you basically have to try and break the game.

12. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Yes it's a real job, if you are interested in becoming one, it depends on where you live and what company you want to work for. Look at the publishing companies' websites, there should be a section of tester jobs they have and where they have them. A couple of the bigger publishers would be EA or Activision-Blizzard.

13. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

But the again why do you want to be a game tester, if its about playing games for free and getting paid, consider being a game reviewer. I think its better paid and has more prospect for your future. Also you dont have to keep testing it again and again nor check for bugs. Just that if a bug appears in the game, bitch about it in your review.

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Game tester is just one job of many where the reality bears no resemblance to the commonly held idea of what its like. Game developer is another one.

15. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

Honestly, The idea of creating a game seems so fun, but holy shit the reality of it all. I want nothing to do with that industry.

16. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

game tester is a real job that goes by the name "quality assurance".

game tester isnt like beta tester, game tester is a boring job because you will not only get to play some really bugging game, you will require to test the game again and again, you might require to replay that same level over 20 times or 30 times to find glitch and bug.

also game tester not only test game, they also test hardware.

17. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

I worked for EA(criterion games)

18. Furashu

Furashu New Member

Well its a tough job, but it pays reasonably well as long you are hired by a company.
    Temporary testers come and go... but its a somewhat satisfying job.

After a game release when people praise a game for the lack of bugs it means the Quality Assurance crew was top notch in finding and properly reporting the bugs so the development team could fix them.

Anything that has to do with game development requires dedication, its not a pink dream... its hard work over a long period of time per project.

Sometimes working at odd hours and doing odd taks that don't make any sense, but its a job so I guess if you have the dedication and really enjoy games beyond just playing them go for it.

Publishers and Development studios usually have a "jobs" page on their website with the jobs they're offering.

19. Luga

Luga Well-Known Member

FREE SODA AND PIZZA!? Where did that chick work!? I wanna work there!
    Somebody says "Free Soda and Pizza" and I say "WHEN DO I START! GIMME THE F00DZ!!" *Drools*

But yes, video game testers do the same thing over a large amount of times. This is to ensure that there are not bugs or hardware failures.

Turning on and off a console? That's easy! Testing a BALLZ HARD LEVEL 100 Times over? THAT'S REAL WORK!

20. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Chances are I would end up being a game developer as Im doing a game design course now. Thanks for ruining it now. Nah but seriously, I know its pretty stressful having datelines, having producing a work and someone says its crap and all that other stuff. But at the end of the day if you create something great and have everyone playing it and enjoying themselves, its pretty rewarding