1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Game engines, programming languages, etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by codemeister1990, Aug 7, 2008.

1. I've been looking a little deeper into programming languages since RPG Maker XP didn't really offer the full flexibility I was looking for, I've found python but have yet to try it and I'm interested in any opinions on other languages, I know C++ is amazing etc etc, but its very hard for new programmers to learn (or so I've heard) and could possibly frustrate the hell out of me. I may still finish the RPG Maker game, but I rather start looking into this

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Want to learn programming languages aye. Well, I've been learning C++ and PALib (DS) for a few months now. Yes, it's best to learn easier languages, such as Ruby or Python, I have learned the basics of Python but am now into C++ and PALib. Might get into DevkitPSP if I get a PSP. RPG Maker uses Ruby, so you could get into that. Learn a few programming languages, and then get into 2D game engines, such as Sphere, Hephaestus, and then eventually into 3D, such as Ogre3D, 3D Game Studio, DarkBasic etc.

3. alright, so what the hell do I do with this "python" seeing as how that's what I'm gonna go with :l
    like...tutorials, ideas, what you did, etc?

-edit I'm on this site http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.2/
    and I don't know which thing to download lol

4. anandjones

Don't go with Python if you want to make games. It is possible, just not a good idea. Download the python-2.5.2.msi if you want to.

5. What programming code then is easy to start off with and there are three types of 2.5.2, I don't know which to pick

6. anandjones

Just the one named python-2.5.2.msi. Maybe DarkBasic, or something. C/C++ would be excellent for games.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

teaching and learning engine is the best, although its C++. look here for download and tutorials: http://www.uclan.ac.uk/facs/destech/compute/staff/noel/. Everything you need (apart from basic C++ knowledge) is in the resources section.

8. I don't see where to download whatever I'm looking for loony

-edit, I found the place
    but umm, will this stuff really work on my computer?

9. Loonylion

if you have a C++ IDE then yes (you need one to program anyway)

10. I don't really know what that is
    and my computer....not so good you could say

11. Loonylion

IDE = integrated development environment. its basically a code editor, compiler and debugger in one. Microsoft Visual C++ is one example of an IDE, Borland C++ Builder is another.

12. links for that? lol

13. Loonylion

cant give you links, they're commercial products. theres probably free equivalents, or ways to get them for free. if you go with the latter option, make sure you read through the stuff on that website and find out which one is being used. Although both programs have the same purpose, they are different and if you get the wrong one (i.e not the one used in the worksheets and examples) you will be making things a lot harder for yourself.

14. this is sounding a lot harder, I think I'm just gonna go with python for now
    any tutorials for that?

15. Loonylion

you can't write games in python... its an interpreted language that doesn't natively run on windows...

16. anandjones

You can always choose Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition, which is free. Yeah, you needed everything back in the day, linkers to change the data into binary (I might have gotten it the wrong way). Also, Codeblocks and Dev-C++ are good. Problem with my Dev-C++ is that something is wrong with the environment settings, so it can't even compile something like a Hello World example. Some examples written on some tutorials might not work on a few compilers, so you may have to change a bit of the code, a reliable compiler should tell you where you have gotten "wrong".

17. yes well, I have dial up so keep that in mind lol
    and I heard its possible to write a game in python

18. anandjones

There is, just not a good idea. I downloaded a RPG written in Python, it was alright, way to many include files though.

19. you mean the files were big sizes or many files were downloaded? :S

20. Loonylion

many files.