1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Freeganism

Discussion in 'Sports' started by sla03rs, May 8, 2008.

1. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

Freeganism is an anti-consumerism lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed." The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters that have passed, or in some cases haven't even passed, their sell by date, but are still edible and nutritious. They salvage the food not because they are poor or homeless, but as a political statement.

The word "freegan" is a blend of "free" and "vegan". Freeganism started in the mid 1990s, out of the antiglobalization and environmentalist movements. Groups such as Food Not Bombs served free vegetarian and vegan food that was salvaged from food market trash by dumpster diving. The movement also has elements of Diggers, an anarchist street theater group based in Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco in the 1960s, that gave away rescued food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

anyone up for it :p

2. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

One of my substitute teachers used to talk about freegans all the time. No one knew how to spell it, though. Someone posted a comment on my blog spelling it "freaggin". We all joked about freegans, primarily because the shallow minds of my class cannot analyze deeper than the fact that freegan sounds like freakin'. That substitute teacher was allegedly fired for hitting a kid after he pissed her off. Most of the rumors in my class are fake, however. Meh.

[vent]There's this kid in my class, Annas; I think he's "an ass". He bullies my friends and I.[/vent]

3. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

freegans are the reflection of poor harmony among the people in the community because there would'nt be any freegans if people try to help each other instead of expelling freegans from the society

4. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

well, we're humans, expulsion is part of our society, some people deserve it, some people don't, it's the circle of life

5. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

but do freegans deserve to be expuled..............in fact they are the ones who need to be helped

6. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

they need tyo be helped? That's like saying the loser always need to be helped

7. sla03rs

expulsion? EH? freegans are freegans by their own choice its a lifestyle

8. gameace99

gameace99 Active Member

WIERD

I have a crazy sub that always talks about these freegins at school. It bores the heck out of me.

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

good on then I say, ive been dumpstering before, its actually really cool, you can get some seriously good shit from the trash, especially food from bakerys and the like. And theres nothing wrong with it.

10. iceredaph32

iceredaph32 Well-Known Member

its not their own choice, poverty drives them to do this kind of lifestyle

11. sla03rs

no its an expression of personal will aka as a protest to norms the freegans featured in national geographic were middle class citizens :|

12. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

It's not poverty that leads them to be freegans. Its about the wastefullness of others. Watched this documentary once that explained their creed; Why throw away something that is completely useful?
    Why throw away good food just because the supermarkets overstocked. Why throw away stuff(bikes electronics,especialy in Japan , in japan they live in a throwaway society, ie once there is a new model for something,tv, electronics,cars they buy new ones even though the old ones are perfectly usable) that can be repaired. And in the UK and US foods that are a month away from expiration or cans that are dented are thrown out by some supermarkets. These are still totally edible.
    The point being why spend for things you can have for free?

13. multy

multy Member

You know... don't we have a flea market? Or junkers?

Let them do their stuff for a living... no sense in taking their part away. Let those "rich" folks throw away their stuff...

I sometimes go junking... but I see no reason to be a freegan.

Ah... I don't junk for food... that is a taboo for me.

14. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

it's not the food that is bad, but it is where you find it that is the problem.

I don't mind picking up an unopened can, but if it is in the garbage, then no.