1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Formatting a Write Protected Disk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by someirishkid, Sep 17, 2009.

1. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

As the title suggests, I want to format a Write Protected CD. I got it in a Jetix magazine a few years ago, and just found the disk in my room. Before, I had tried to format a Write Protected Disk, but in My Computer it said that there was "0 bytes free of 0 bytes" :-[ It was a Read Only Memory CD, which meant that the files were permenantly burned onto the disk. But on the Jetix CD it read "0 bytes free of 2.51 GB". :eek: I was wondering if anyone here knows how to bypass the Write Protection and format my disk.
    Thanks!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you cant. CD ROM discs cannot be erased, as the name implies.

3. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Only way a disc can be formatted is if its a re-writeable and I seriously doubt such a disc would be sent out in a magazine it would have been nice at times especially when you get an AOL disc in the mail about 4 times a month erase them and use them for some MP3s or something...but sadly this is not Burger King, so I can't have it my way.

4. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

but it actually had memory on it, it had like 2 gigs! Other CD-ROM's have 0bytes disc space.
    Cmon!!! There has to be a way!

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

There is no way. As much as anyone wants there to be.

You can be saying "please" as much as you want to, but there's nothing to erase the data already burnt onto it.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...this seems kinda dumb in a way-if it's premade 9.5 times out of 10 you can't do anything about it-it's a dvd for heaven's sake.

If you want to do something about it-copy the iso and prehaps then locate a program that would let you edit the iso.

And besides-here is an example of how a cd-r or dvd-r works.

You have an nes rom-256kb right?

Burn just that to a dvd and look-you wasted 3.99GB of space-can't go past it.

If it was a RW type disc THEN you could do something-they can be altered.

Get a external hard drive of mini usb flash drive-much better for space.

And why exactly do you want space on it anyway?

(you can't format a disc-you can write over an rw type but premade from companies are r-can't be format-if you want to clear it seriously buffer the disc several times-but by doing that-you can't save etheir)