1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Flash Cards

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Myame, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Myame

Myame Member

Alrighty then... I've been asking a few people about The DS Emulators, roms, and flash cards... Basically, What I need to know is, with a 50~75$ budget... What would I need to get in order to download the NDS roms, put them on the card(or whatever the hell it is), and then play them on my DS (Original NDS, not a Lite)...

Simple question, But I lack research skills and time, So I figured I'd ask the experts. =P

(On a side-note; Compatibility and such.. If I use a card on my actual DS as opposed to an emulator, I'll be able to play all(most?) of the available NDS roms, without major lag/slowdown/crashing, right?)

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Get an R4DS and any MicroSD to play it.

Compatability rate is very high with slot 1 cards such as R4DS, it's really only limited by the read/write speed of your MicroSD RAM.

3. G.C

G.C Well-Known Member

I Dont Follow When You Say MicroSD RAM, Is It A Special Card? Or Just Like A Normal MicroSD?

4. Myame

Myame Member

This is why I stopped asking him and asked here... ???
    How about.. List a MicroSD Card/Brand and price for me that you know works well?

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

kingston are a good brand of flash memory, so are sandisk

@G.C he means normal microSD, he said ram incorrectly.

6. Seph

I should not post at 1:30 AM =/

7. PeeB4Ugo

PeeB4Ugo New Member

I have been successful with PNY mem cards.

8. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

9. crimespree

crimespree Member

i bought my r4 from dealextreme.com it comes with a 1 gb kingston for 42$ bought it like 3 weeks ago, the price on the site fluctuates. i was gonna get a 2gb kingston but i was told anything above 1 gb will lag on some games. but im not sure about that

10. Seph

It doesn't depend on the size of it but on the read/write speed. Obviously the faster the read/write speed and the higher the capacity the more expensive it will be so there might a trend to decrease read/write speed on higher capacity cards in order get lower prices.

11. chibibaka

chibibaka Member

a good cheap Micro SD card is a patriot 1gb one from newegg.com I bought one and have very little freezes during Castlevania PoR

12. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

I recommend you get a flash card that is Japanese and is Kingston. That is the fastest brand out there. You will also be able to play a crud load of games on your ds. Just make sure they aren't fake as the fake cards have slow read/write speeds. All of your questions should be answered by the sites forums though: http://forums.r4ds.net/index.php

13. Xerion

Xerion Active Member

I bought an R4. It's wonderful, you should get one! ^.^

14. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

Yeah i am getting the R4 too. ;D Just gave up on DSX when i found out no 2GB is working. Just need to find a retailer to buy from and i'm good to go.

15. zerozangel

zerozangel Well-Known Member

Yea the R4's is great and the best microsd out there for the R4 would be the Kingston oem because of its speed

16. Myame

Myame Member

Aye, I should've replied a while back. I ended up going with the R4 and a Kingston 1gb microSD. I do want to ask though, aren't the sandisk microSD cards faster than the Kingston ones? I really don't know but i thought i remembered hearing it somewhere. Thanks for all the info~

17. zerozangel

zerozangel Well-Known Member

Well im not an expert but im guessing kingston because the kingstons are able to play castlevania POR which needs a really fast card and it does not work on the sandisk cards.

18. Seph

You can't generalize it like that, both brands provide different speeds.

19. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

I would go with the M3 Perfect Lite, because it has extra RAM to play GBA games, and Nintendo DS homebrew that require it.

20. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

The Kingston brand of microSD cards have been able to play Castlevania: PoR flawlessly, while the best Sandisk microSD card: The Sandisk 1, and 2GB Ultra II, have freezes in it. Check the R4 compatibility list for more details.