1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Finland's schools score top, yet school hours are shortest

Discussion in 'General News' started by MessoMesso, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/world_news_america/8601207.stm

-sighs- It's really nice seeing teachers that really care about their kids, you know. And over here in America half of them act like they want to eat children!

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...the topic name doesn't quite match the story...

I thought they had 3 hour school days and were doing well school wise, not keeping them with the same school and staff for so long (my school did this-didn't help in our case though).

3. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

^This is the main reason.

My school also had them combined (K-8th) and from 6th to 8th we had the same teachers.
    Our school still did poorly because of students just being so uncaring and ADD strewn and the teachers were so fed up with trying to deal with them that it didn't help much if any.
    I Really miss school and wish i had tried a lot harder, but the past is the past and all i can do is hope the future gets better for everyone.

4. MessoMesso

My quote isn't the whole story.

"Finland's schools score consistently at the top of world rankings, yet the pupils have the fewest number of class hours in the developed world."

5. melfice666

melfice666 Well-Known Member

hehehehehee Its good to be from Finland I guess.

6. Petey

Petey Well-Known Member

Finland doesn't have black people running around, I will be intrigued to see how they will do then.

7. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

You cannot be serious.

8. Petey

Petey Well-Known Member

I am 100% serious. Throw in inner city black kids and see the scores dip dramatically. Granted, you can't blame everything on the skin of their color, but the culture they live in does not harbor any learning environment. Cultural difference is the explanation for the score differentials, nothing else. I went through the public school system and I turn out just fine.

9. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

If the black children you are referring to come from an impoverished environment then it would be the environment that would be at fault, not a general black culture. It could just as easily be said that caucasian youths (or asian et al,) coming from a poor environment would bring down the average score if they were to partake in the Finnish tests; why single out black people?
    "You can't blame everything on their skin colour" Not everything, but some things?, what things could be blamed on their skin colour?

10. melleopberg

melleopberg Well-Known Member

They have less hours but very much homework.

11. MessoMesso

Beats boring lectures where you have to listen to the teacher talk so slowly in my book. TALK FASTER DAMMIT! Good to see someone with experience with the school system, though. Adds more insight.

12. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

I always thought China was up top with education, etc... And north korea apparently has decent education as well.

13. DECADE5

DECADE5 Well-Known Member

Finland also has low levels of immigration. So when pupils start school the majority have Finnish as their native language, eliminating an obstacle that other societies often face.

After reading this, doesn't it sound like they, basically, are saying that:"We don't have black people, so our children in primary/secondary schools do better at studying. No for black gangsta-kiddies in Finland's schools!!!" ???

14. alukado

alukado Well-Known Member

Eduxcation in China sucks,everybody just do huge number of homework to get high score,no other things . The teachers or professors in the university suck
    too, just read the book and copy some dissertations.

15. Yohko86

Yohko86 Member

Uh-oh. Looks like somebody's trolling......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.