1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Final Fantasy Tactics World Map

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dajuke, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dajuke

dajuke Member

Ok, I THOUGHT I was all good to go, and I imagine this is a commonly asked question but I did a search through the game issues and common issues and couldn't find anything. FFT has played smoothly so far, my problem is now that I am at the first save point on the world map it is completely black, however it will show briefly when I scroll across it. I am not extremely comfortable messing with any of the properties of the video plugin I am using, which is pete's openGL2 I believe. I will do so if that is the recommendation, but thought I would ask the experts first. Other than the world map however, the game is playing excellently so far. Thanks for your help. And if there is a thread or a link where I should look, i will be more than happy to do so.

As this is a new post I should say that I am using the newest version of epsx, with the standard configuration of the video pluging.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It is a graphics plugin issue.
    Final Fantasy Tactics was the first game I tried to play on ePSXe years ago in college, and I ran into a black world map too.

Start off by using ePSXe 1.5.2
    http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

Then get the Plugin Pack here:
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=600.0

I have had no problem with Pete's OpenGL2 plugin, but I have an Nvidia video card. If you don't have an Nvidia card, then you'll want to try Pete's D3D. I don't think any of the special fixes have to be turned on for it to work. Try out the "Fast" default settings first.

3. dajuke

dajuke Member

Thank you. Before I delete my current version of epsx, I am interested to know if it offers any benefits over the older version, that being the one you recommend. If not, then it would be simpler to only have one version of epsx on my comp. I am now going attempt your recommendation and will inform if it was successful.

4. TirithRR

Some versions of ePSXe work better with certain games.
    It seems to be a general rule that 1.5.2 works well with Square(soft) Enix games. Mainly the Final Fantasy games.

I keep both 1.5.2 and 1.7.0 on my computer. Some people keep 1.6.0 as well.

5. dajuke

dajuke Member

All right, having downloaded the recommended version of epsx and messed around with the plugins for video and drivers, as well as playing through the opening sequence again *sigh*, my issue with the black world map persists. I have used multiple video plugins as well as both versions of epsx, and I have come to no combination that allows me to see the world map, other than city names and my char icon. It is obviously playable at this point, so I suppose I must acclimate myself to a black screen. Interestingly however, for the older version of psx there is no sound during any of the opening movies either. They do play perfectly fine in epsx 1.7 though.

If anyone HAS played FFT as an ISO and has had success or little to no issues, please share your experience and how you managed to do so. Perhaps I need to use a different emulator?

My computer specs are:
    2.4 G dual core processor
    GeForce 9400 vid card
    8 GB ram
    Win XP

6. TirithRR

I do have the FFT game downloaded from this site.

I use 1.7.0 and OpenGL2 2.9 driver with the "Nice" Default settings and no special fixes enabled, and the background maps works just fine.

7. dajuke

dajuke Member

That did it. I guess I should just trust the default settings after all eh? Thank you so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.