1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FF8 (PSX) modded?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Yoherz, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

I've gotten a bunch of my SNES, GBA, and a couple PSX games here.
    Though, when I tried playing FFVIII, the menu didn't show up during battle (HP, character name, command list, etc.). I also got my FFVII game from here, and everything works perfectly, so I'm wondering if its the rom itself, or.....?

EDIT: I ask because the version of Super Earth Defense Force (SNES) was apparently hacked for invulnerability, and it wasn't marked as such.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Your problem is your graphics config. Make sure you are using ePSXe 1.5.2, and one of Pete's graphics plugins. Make sure the graphics plugin is set to 'nice' defaults, and 'special game fixes' is enabled, and the relevant fixes are enabled (at the bottom of graphics plugin config is 'special game fixes' with a button next to it).

Our SNES and other retro consoles often contain hacks bundled in with the original game. the rom with (!) in the name is the original unmodified game.

3. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

Ah, though, I'm using PSXeven (running win2k), so any way I could get it to work on that as well?

4. Loonylion

Probably not, ePSXe is considerably superior, which is why we recommend it. You must use 1.5.2 for squaresoft games, however, 1.6.0 and 1.7.0 don't always play nice with those games for some reason.

5. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

Ah, oh well. Ill just stay away from VIII then. Can't really run ePSXe since I don't have the systems or anything to run it.

Though, thanks anyways.

6. Loonylion

it will run fine on windows 2000, I used to run it on windows 98.

7. Cillranchello

Cillranchello Active Member

You could try pSX, I have a lot of success using that.

Just type pSX (just like that) into google, first link should be the page.

8. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

I've tried pSX, PSXeven, epsxe, psxfin, and PCSX, and the only one that I could get to run on my computer was PSXeven.
    All the other ones it said there was missing WGL extensions, or some other error.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded aggressive.

9. Loonylion

what graphics card does the system have?

10. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Missing WGL Extensions means that your Graphics Card doesn't support everything the emulator needs. Something to do with DirectX 9 and Pixel Shading capabilities. Either your graphics card is out of date, or it's drivers are. It is likely the hardware though, and won't be fixed unless you upgrade your computer.

The problems with your hardware could likely be causing the graphical issues on the one emulator you can get to run. The other emulators won't even let it try without the supported hardware.

11. Loonylion

you may be able to use ePSXe with Pete's dx6 driver or peops soft driver.

12. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

Yeah, I know my hardware is out of date. Very out of date.
    Though, I've been able to run Ragnarok Online with a 4mb video card, so it can still do something! :D

But yeah, PSXeven is the only one that didn't give me errors and such.

I saw the same suggestion when I googled the problem, was the driver I had from the beginning.

But yeah, I just wanted to see if it was the ROM or my emulator. If nothing else, I can have my big bro run it on his laptop and see if it does the same thing (XP that runs epsxe).

13. Loonylion

I have run ePSXe on a 4MB graphics card in the past.

14. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

Well, I guess it doesn't like ATI 4mb cards.
    All I know is that PSXeven is the only one I can get to run on my computer.
    I can list the errors I get for the other emulators, if you want.

15. Loonylion

might help

the 4MB card I used was an S3.

16. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

epsxe and pSX both give me No WGL extensions, don't remember the error from PCSX (ended up deleting it), but Project64 gives me a....*checks*....well, apparently it started randomly working, but it would give me an error about D3D before that.

EDIT: Scratch that, now its giving me an error about access violation.

17. Loonylion

do you have the proper ATI drivers installed, or are you just using the windows built in one?

18. Yoherz

Yoherz Member

Downloaded all the drivers myself, since the emulators apparently wouldn't use the default ones. Not even the core ones built into the program, oddly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.