1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favourite Books/Authors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jadin72, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my first thread ive created, i hope you enjoy it.

Being a bit of a bookworm myself (no its not nerdy) and it being the holidays where i am and all i need some new boos to read, so i am taking lots of suggestions for good books and such.

Here are some of my favourites:

Matthew Reilly books
    They are just great, i mean so much action and shooting and BLAM BLAM guns and junk.

Tolkein Books
    Its just so easy to get lost in the history of middle earth in the many background books J.R.R Tolkein and his son wrote, like the silmarillion and the children of hurin. theyr great.

The his dark materials series
    you know, the golden compass, the subtle knife, and the amber spyglass. they do begin a bit slowly, but after about a third of the book you can not put them down. you just get lost in them.

Hope to get lots of great book recommendations and happy reading!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

'The golden compass' was originally named 'northern lights' for those not in America.

I am an avid reader myself, and one of my favourites has to be the 'Old Kingdom' trilogy by Garth Nix. I also enjoy Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and Zizou Corder's Lionboy trilogy was different to a lot of the books I've read. The Ender Saga (Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead, among others), by Orson Scott Card is a good read.

Non-fiction, I found Joy Adamsons' 'Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds' very inspiring, and I also enjoyed reading 'Wild Swans' by Jung Chang, although the content could be unpleasant at times.

3. jadin72

Discworld series is somethng i didnt add. terry pratchett is great.

I'll look into the garth nix books too, after i finish reading the children of hurin, i have had some other people (in real life) recommen it to me. thanks!

4. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

I've read the Old Kingdom series and i have to say that i love Garth Nix's Books. Another good book for me was 'Wolf Brother' in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.
    I've tried to read TLoTR series but i end up falling asleep half the time.

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I don't read books. just the ones that have pictures, hehehe...

6. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

20,000 Leagues under the sea.. was superb.

7. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well my favorite was Dragon Ball by Akira Toriyama

what?...you said Book, Manga are book too >.>

8. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

Dan Brown and all his book is the best i read and maybe eragon waiting for the 3nd book and david eddings pawn of prophecy, queen of sorcery, magician's gambit, castle of wizardry, enchanter's end game. mark robson imperial assassin and imperial spy and all of harry potter series. well this is the book that i think is quite good but some of the book call be refer as ancient so i not sure u can find them.

i wonder what colour will the last dragon in eragon be i think its green

9. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Well lets see, Philip Pullman(spelled?) did indeed do good on his trilogy, I read them several years ago and enjoyed them loads.
    Other than that I like Dan Brown too, and whoever wrote Artemis Fowl. Besides that I'm a sucker for the Harry Potter universe, official books and fanfiction both.

10. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Eragon
    Tolkien
    Sword of Truth series....
    I've read the first part of the old kingdom trilogy....never got around to the rest....
    Moby Dick
    In the Heart of the Sea - Nathaniel Philbrick
    HP Lovecraft
    Arthur C Clarke (Rendezvous with Rama is my favourite)
    The Moonrise saga - Ben Bova
    Deathworld trilogy - Harry Harrison
    Hitchikers Guide trilogy of five books ;D

My favourite book though....
    I am Legend - Richard Matheson

11. Sonica

Sonica Well-Known Member

My favourites are Emily Rodda's books, since her Deltora Quest series is what got me into reading in the first place...

Maybe this way is easier:

Deltora Quest 1-3
    The Key to Rondo
    Harry Potter
    Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon, Eldest, ??????)
    Rowan of Rin (1-5)

Aside from the last book of Inheritance Trilogy, I owned a copy of these guys and loving it.

12. jadin72

a few you guys are recommending classics... like 20000 leagues under the sea and moby dick. i'll have to look into them...

13. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Moby Dick will pleasantly surprise you I think....
    And if you want more whales after that...

In the Heart of the Sea - Nathaniel Philbrick
    or
    In Search of Moby Dick - Tim Severin

14. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I don't like books very much, but "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut was nothing short of kick-ass.

15. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Not all the book stories have influenced me, some of the games have different stories...for example I would suggest a big time to see want 2K games have done in the game Bioshock the story is very complex and difficult to understand...the story of GTA series are also good,Half-Life games also have complex stories. ::)

16. jadin72

hey guys, you dont just have to post lists of book names. feel free to discuss too!

17. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

There is a series of books that I was just overly thrilled to get in ebook form several years ago off of ebay. That was an old series of Doc Savage Adventures by Kenneth Robeson! It is a mixture of sci-fi, mystery, and adventure. They were written back in the 1930s and 1940s. Many years ago I just happened upon some in a used book store one time, the discovery has led to some great reading. The ebook CD that I now have contains 130 books by that author. In the time period that they were written, it was considered pulp fiction. This series of books have become my favorite.

I also like the Lord of the Ring books by Tolkien, the Narnia series by C. S. Lewis. I like reading Sherlock Holmes occasionally, along with Time machine, War of the Worlds, and 20,000 Leagues under the sea. I like the weirdness of the Alice in Wonderland series. The Wizard of Oz series of books make a great read. Great classics.

18. rounds25

rounds25 Well-Known Member

Well I must say that my favorite book would have to be "The Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Suess.

I also enjoy the Bourne series. You know, the ones they turned into movies.

19. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

I'm reading it right now. It's nice, but a bit boring when it comes to all the classifying of the fish.

Treasure Island - Stevenson (GREAT pirate story)
    Gulliver's Travels - Swift
    Around the world in 80 days & five weeks in a balloon - Verne
    The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (all five) - Adams

I still want to read Robinson Crusoe. Anybody knows some other books from that time?

20. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

Due Preparatinos for the Plague. A very good book