1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Favorite media player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tapwatah, Nov 3, 2007.

1. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

I myself like Aurok (I think I spelled that wrong) for Linux. It has this great overlay method where it puts a semi-transparent overlay on the screen. I used to like realplayer, until it kept freezing up on me.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

VLC mostly, plays everything. :)

3. kaiden

kaiden Well-Known Member

media player classic - combined community codec

4. Kekka

Kekka Member

Mplayer For Vid Winamp for Music :)

5. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

VLC? Is that windows?

6. 94dan

94dan Active Member

VLC is everything. Windows, Linux, and maybe Mac.

At least I think so...

But, yeah, Amarock rocks. I THINK that's how you spell it.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I use winamp for music, and media player classic for video

8. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

I usally swap around with WMP11 and CCCP - Media Classic Player. WMP for music and MCP for videos.

9. Tidus1177

Tidus1177 Member

the best is mplayer it plays everything even video types ive never even heard of and it plays it, it has a crappy skin and lacks buttons but is great

10. DrWarm

DrWarm Member

I use *gasp* the dreaded iTunes for music (oh no start flame war!!). Only because I have an *gasp again* iPod. I use WMP for video though.

PS <insert futurama gag> "This man is over gasped!!"

11. DemonHeadx

DemonHeadx Well-Known Member

--- Music ---
    - Winamp

--- Video ---
    VLC with Mega Codec Pack (which includes alternative realplayer and alternative quicktime)

12. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Winamp gives me sexual benefits.
    Ohh yeahhh.

13. noobster

noobster Active Member

window media, plain and simple

14. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

VLC or zoom player. plays everything small progames that use low resorces. ace

15. hs2007

hs2007 New Member

I splurged and bought a license for RealPlayer beta and I actually think its pretty good now that I can download streams easily. And has more compatible things along with it

16. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

Lol i have that on my flash drive i never really gave it a thought though
    Me to i'm stuck with it for the same reason, curse you itunes

17. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

use windows media to play music, divx pro usually for movies. accidentally updated my WMP to the new one and man it sux lol, classic rocks compared to this new heap....

18. h8uthemost

h8uthemost Well-Known Member

Foobar for sure, since all I do is listen to music on the computer. Don't really watch movies on it. I like it because it plays all my FLAC downloads. And plus it's customizable as hell.

Actually, I got the Oinkbar. The Oink customized Foobar. Which came preloaded with some sweet customizations.

19. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

I use iTunes for music as I have an iPod and I also have my PC hooked up to an amp so I need a program that can work with the IR remote I use for my PC. I use VLC for video with some random vista codec. And finally I use Windows Media Centre for DVDs as I have my PC hooked up to my LCD TV as a second screen and I like to be able to use my remote as if my PC was a DVD player - which WMC does really well.

I don't use WMP because whenever I use it it screws up with codecs and crap gets corrupted - this has happened every time I have rebuilt my computer. Although I find WMP does use less resources than the general media player.

I used to use WinAMP because it used less resources than iTunes and was generally better but I got sick of the sync issues using WinAMP plugins for my iPod and the iTune interface is just so simple. And once I upgraded my PC I didn't need to worry about resources.

I used to use NeroShowtime for video files as that was just set as the default program and it worked pretty well - except sometimes video/audio would go out of sync - but I think that was a codec issue because it doesn't happen now I've updated codecs. I still prefer VLC though for compatibility.

Anyways, my longish two cents :p

20. 0790

0790 Well-Known Member

I use Songbird 0.3 (Try Google) for music, it's based on Firefox oddly enough and has a web browser built in (great for getting mp3's off sites and Oggs off wikipedia). And GASP! it has an iPod plugin so I can use it for that as well!

As for video I normally use VLC but on the odd situation I use Media Player Classic. They get the job done. Nice and simple.