1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Fake Dragon Quest IX ROM punishes overeager pirates (Joystiq)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by kamuikurou, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Not sure if this should go to the news or here...

Original news link here:
    http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/07/08/fake-dragon-quest-ix-rom-punishes-overeager-pirates/
    Scary o_O Never download roms outside romulation...
    By the way I wonder how a mere rom was able to mess with DS firmware. Is it even possible? :-\

2. ztf

ztf Member

Just heard about this on Kotaku, myself. Anything that can run homebrew software can cause harm to the system itself, as it is running in an unintended way.

3. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

DAMN!! Well RomUlation is safe right? 'Cause I just downloaded it and Im inserted it onto my DS right now

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes the romu one is safe.

5. Luga

Luga Well-Known Member

Loonylion, you made me feel safe just now.
    I am currently downloading DQIX and am going to test it on the following hardware;
    AK2i running AKAIO v 1.4.1 *proper repack*
    2GB Taiwanese Kingstion Micro SD formated with Panosonic SD Formatter.

I plain to post if the game works unpatched or not, and if not, I will (if acceptable) post a link to the patch.

6. Shiokazu

Shiokazu Well-Known Member

... thats a real trap.

7. hahahahaha

hahahahaha Well-Known Member

Nasty, lucky ours are tested. I can't believe Nintendo is going to such lengths to make us buy...

8. DragonQuester

lol well i keep playing a new game and the farthest I can get to is the point where the first battle happens with those slimes and that wierd fruit guy... Me and my bald angel guy tag team and after the battle, my DS screens just turn black... and it ends there

9. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

I don't believe it is Nintendo's (or any developer's) work. Like PC virus, some guys just made for pranks or something. It's still possible though, considering developers do hate roms, especially Japanese developers. I remember reading the article about banning flashcarts in Japan somewhere in Joystiq/Kotaku earlier.

10. DragonQuester

Thats so scary though.. Now Im scared to get any Square Enix games... But still, RomU is always safe for me!!