1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FA Premiership 2008 - 2009

Discussion in 'Sports' started by grimsim1, Aug 10, 2008.

1. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Who do you think will win it this season? Who do you think will be the underdogs and upset everyone? Who do you think will underperform? Best player? Top scorer? First manager to get sacked?

Its a new season and tons of excitement await all football fans. The premiership is no doubt the best and most exciting league in the football today. This thread is for discussion about anything related to the new season. I hope everyone contributes and we can keep this one going throughout the season and discuss any going ons in the league.

I personally think Chelsea and Arsenal are going to have bad seasons. Its going to be between Manchester United and Liverpool for the title but don't underestimate Tottenham and Manchester City. Stoke and Hull are going down thats for sure. :D

2. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

I think the top five is going to be like this: Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Portsmouth, Tottenham. I think that ManU will be in a bit of trouble at the first half of the season, as being without Ronaldo for about 2 1/2 months is a long stretch. I'm looking forward to Liverpool's and Arsenal's teams, and how they play.

3. grimsim1

You think Arsenal? But they have lost so many good players. I don't see them challenging. Their team is too young to be consistent the whole season. Man United always start off slowly. I think Liverpool will take it (because they are my team) but also because they have a really strong side. Robbie Keane and hopefully Gareth Barry bring so much experience in the league. I can't wait until next weekend ;D

4. galupa

galupa Member

arsenal to win it. Fabregas is the most creative mid in the prem. Adebayor will have a great season. Dmac, you must truly hate arsenal to put them behind pompey and spuds, LOL. You really think AW would let that happen? Title at least for arsenal. If not that then cl will be theirs. The young gunners are gonna shock everyone!!!
    As for top scorer it will be adebayor.
    There ya go, you heard it here first.

5. grimsim1

Great round of games yesterday. Arsenal weren't convincing at all. Liverpool beat a strong Sunderland side. Will be a tough season thats for sure.

6. smiler

smiler Member

id like to see Liverpool win it as its my team
    if we play well and all our player perform then we will do
    think Torres will be top scorer
    i think we have to win this year or something got to change
    not sure we need Barry as Alonso is better
    we need a winger

but i think we will be there or there about come the end of season

7. Windy76

Windy76 Member

well i think it will be united season again (and that hurts to say as i am a city fan) Arsenal are losing too many players ans do not have the players to cover them. Liverpool always seem to underachieve ! they are always tipped for great things, but never live upto it ! don't know if this is down to the rotation of players or the fact that they buy so many during the close season. Spurs might have been an outside bet but it all depends hom long the Berbatov story drags on !! its obviously affecting the whole team (two games in - 2 defeats !), Chelsea are again the only team who can realy challange united and i think its gonne be those two down to the wire !

as for my mighty blues ? who knows ! if we can sign a decent forward who's gonna bag a few goals then maybe (just maybe !) a champions league spot ? (to be honest i would settle for top 10 again and a decent run in one of the cups)

8. grimsim1

I don't think Berbatov has anything to do with the team. I mean Juande Ramos is a good coach but can he really understand the English game? He can't even speak English, let alone get his message accros. I think that Berbatov has every right to move to a big club and I'm not saying that because I am Bulgarian. Man City have Bojinov who is a great striker but I wish he wouldn't get injured all the time.

Good start to the season though. Hull are surprising everyone and I am happy to see my Liverpool tied at the top with Chelsea.

9. Windy76

Windy76 Member

Yeah Boj has been Very unlucky !when he did play he showed a lotof promise - his big problem now is that we have a new manager Boj could find himself pushed out through no fault of his own - he's just unlucky !!

10. grimsim1

The thing is Mark Hughes liked him. He actually played him a lot in pre-season. But with the new owners now and when they start getting more expensive players I think he will be forced out hey. He is a good talent. I cant wait to see the next few games with all the new signings.

But great start to the season. Looks like it will be a real challenge for the "top 4" this year. Any thoughts?

11. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I'm putting my money on Manchester City, just like I did last year. With the shitload of money they have now thanks to the takeover by ADUG, it won't surprise me if they qualify for the Champion's League next year and win some silverware, too :) .

12. Windy76

Windy76 Member

Good lad BloodVayne, you;ll do for me - my money is ALWAYS on the blues !! i just dont have a s much to put on them as the new owners ! i was more than happy when Dr. Shinawatra (?) took over and invested some money in to us ( lets face it we needed it) and was pretty happy about getting Erikson, i was disapointed to see him go though and would have liked to see him stay. I was pretty shocked when we appointed Hughes, to be honest, as i thought the only job he would leave Blackburn for was Uniteds job ! in a way kinda wish the take over hadn't happened untill the end of the season, that way if we do win anything or qualify for the champions league this year no-one could have turned around and said " you only did it cause of the money!"

There's no doubt that there are interesting times ahead at City (Again !!) i just hope we don't turn into another Chelsea and start buying players we don't really need, just to prove that we can ?

i hope the new owners leave well alone and let Hughes pick the players to buy. knowing City we'll probably get relegated !! :D

13. dmac154

You people are forgetting United (go reds! :p) They are looking to destroy the competition with their purchase of Berbatov. Playing him up front along side Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo (when he returns) on the wing, whooo what and offense.

About City: I have good expectations for city, hope they do well. I know city are united's rivals, but its nice to see every team succeed in some areas eh? spread the love around...
    Even though they bought Robiniho, I still don't see them winning this year, because he's gotta get seasoned into the league. however, next year, I expect a very potent threat from city for united, but as usual, United will prevail hehe :p

As for chelsea, I don't really care for this team this season, they do pose a threat to united, as well as Liverpool. But hey, its Manchester United = Champions.
    okay all you haters can post about united now....

City won't get relegated, im confident.

14. Windy76

Windy76 Member

thanks for the open invite to dis united Dmac (not that us blues need an invite to do it !!) ;D

you reckon Berbatov was worth the money ? (i suppose time will tell ? - kinda answered my own question there !!)

as i stated in my earlier post - i think it will be united again for the title - unless Chelsea pull some magic out of the bag - or we REALLY gel very quickly !!

i am currently kinda feeling sorry for all the Toon and Hammers fans out there !! having been through more than my fair share of managerial cock-us as a blue, i know where they are coming from. The biggest probem they have now (especially Newcastle) is finding a new manager ! no manager worth his reputation is going to want to go to a club where he knows he is not going to be in charge of signing and selling players !! its the biggest fear i have about the take over of City - i REALLY hope they leave Hughes to make the call as to who we sign and when !!

15. grimsim1

I think Berbatov was a fantastic signing and he has always been such a great player. United are lucky to have him.

I dont think Hughes will have much control to be honest. I mean on the day they took over, they bid for all these players and I really dont think Hughes had much say in it. Even if they do get all the world's best players, you cant just expect them to win everything just because they have these players. It takes a good manager to blend these players into a cohesive and functioning unit where he can get the best out of each player. Big players usually have big ego's and Hughes is a great manager. Even if he does not get who he wants, I think he can get them to play together really well. As long as they dont get rid of Petrov, they should be a tough team this year.

But to be honest, Robinho is not even that good. He is way overated.

16. Windy76

Windy76 Member

yeah from what i have read and heard about "the new pele" he reminds me of Anelka in way - both very talented, but both poorly advised and both VERY childish, will sulk at the first sign that something is not going his way !

fingers crossed that he will actually be able to live upto his reputation / expectations of some success starved fans !!

17. dmac154

So Liverpool fans should rejoice with this piece of news, Torres and Gerrard are fit to play in the game against United. However, its gonna be a battle with the addition of Berbatov. Unfortunately, he isn't gonna be starting. But even better ews, my boy, the 'Golden Boy, Ronny, returns on Wednesday in the Champions League game against Villarreal. Yes everyone can rejoice now ;D

18. grimsim1

We won!!!! YAY ;D I'm so happy. We totally ouplayed United and if anyone disagrees with that they are really biased and don't know football. This was a great game and a great result. We totally deserved it. Liverpool looked great. Riera looks like an awesome signing. Bring on Chelsea.

-sings "You'll never walk alone, walk on, walk on.." :D

19. dmac154

Okay I do admit Liverpool outplayed ManUtd for the last 70 mins of the game, however that means that United did dominate the first 20 mins. Then for some reason we jsut died down, and Van Der Sar made some disappointing choices, hence why the score is 2-1. Look out Liverpool, we have to play again, and Ronny will be back long before then. I just hope Chelsea loses, I really dislike that club. :-*

20. dmac154

- I am aware that I am double posting -

Anyone else watch the Chelsea v ManUtd game? Here are my thoughts:
    Very poor refereeing, yes most of the yellow cards were necessary for United, but only 1 card for Chelsea and there were over 3 two footed tackles? I have to disagree with the refs, horrible on their part.
    The equalizing goal, offside on Cole's part, however, Kalou wasn't, so I can't really argue that.
    Unnecessary fouls being called as soon as a United player even comes close to a Chelsea player.

I am somewhat pleased with the score, Chelsea lost 2 points and are not on top of the league. However, united should have won.
    Chelsea fans can now bash my critique. :-*