1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Extra topic postings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcwolf09, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Why do people refuse to post their needs in already created topics and instead make new ones that take up space that could be needed?

2. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

because they dont know how to use the search option :p

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Also, often times the search function fails to find threads if you are looking for a very specific string of words for your search & not a more generalized one.

4. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Actually, some would like to be attention whores and OP

5. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

This is like asking why we have criminals in the world.

6. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Also because the old topics may be too old. Then, if someone posts there, they would be necroposter.
    It's a choice of two evils.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The admins here do allow necro posting on old threads, If doing so is meant to add substance to an old topic's discussion. However, if you necro post just for the heck of it, then that's when it is considered un-warranted.

8. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Search function isn't allotted for multi-string queries. Some people do actively try and search before they make a topic, and some don't.

If it needs to be moved, someone will move it.
    Better yet Arc, why not make a topic about duplicate threads, and post the ones you think are similar in substance, at least that would narrow down topics that are alike.

And then there are some that take topics that others have created, and rip them off, for their own benefit, I could say names, but you know who you are.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

For their own benefit? How? The post rank system's been removed some time ago so posting for the sake of recognition no longer means anything.

But I do agree with your point though ;)

Quality over quantity I say.

10. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Mutual symbiosis, was the term I believe you used at one time.

They stole topics from me, as I (unknowingly) stole them from you :D

I don't mind actually, just that they suck in the first place is what irks me. :)

I just had someone ask for- http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=48724.0

The user did so in three other places too.

I guess excitement runs rampant.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The incident involving the "Villains" threads?

As I told you then & am telling you now, never did it crossed my mind that you stole the discussion idea from me in anyway. Unless that is you were some lurker who looked up every post & topic I started in the past & said to yourself, "Hmmm... this topic looks interesting, I wonder if I should copy/plagiarize it" LOL!

Incidentally, let me take this opportunity to clarify why I often refer people to older threads with similar content. It is to inform the topic starter & the people posting on the new thread that a similar discussion was made earlier & that the topic just died due to factors such as the topic being fully discussed or people losing interest in it. And I never intended doing so to brag about my own threads as I do give references to threads made by other people a lot as well.

Another reason why I refer old threads is to help out a little in keeping forum sections clean from duplicate threads that just clutter the boards from time to time.

And about your concerns of people doing it just to look kewl or to get one up on somebody else? I don't have the necessary means to prove or disprove your claim, but let me just tell you that I still believe most of the regulars here are mature enough to not do such things. Well for those who do do it, I guess that's just how they roll.

12. dedboy

dedboy Guest

There are other instances where it happened.
    I am all for people doing so, if they can modify or make better what I started, by all means go for it.

I don't care for credit for the thread either, just don't dumb what I made down.

..I won't give examples, and my apologies for hi-jacking Arc's thread.

Cereal is quite good, even for dinner.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Crap, we've totally hijacked this thread now.

Lemme see here:

Your thread was about lucid dreaming in general.

The one I participated in by XD9999 was a general discussion on the phenomenon of dreaming.

The "Is it a sin to have impure dreams" thread by zzzzzzzzzzzz, talks about the implications of having sick & perverted dreams about people.

Buchichu's thread speaks of common re-occuring dreams.

And personuser's thread is about crazy ass drugged up sounding dreams.

So yeah five different threads with simingly similar topics but definitely discussing different aspects of Dreaming :) I find nothing sinister in this LOL!

14. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=12469

15. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Wow, this topic is a duplicate of a duplicate,
    mind explodes.

Also, no one would necro a almost two year old topic.

It just goes to show that some things never change.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Crap! I forgot about that older thread :facedesk:

And thanks for reminding me of good ol' Almo & grimsim :)