1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Ext. HD and 360

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Almo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

OK ive done some googleing since my ext hd wasnt recognised by my 360. I couldnt find a lot so i thought id ask here.

I have a maxtor 160gig ext. which I wish to connect to my 360
    This is currently in NTFS format.

Now I have a funny feeling that im going to have to change that to FAT? can anyone confirm that?
    also is there any way I go do that without losing my data/reformatting my HD?

Cheers guys.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you cannot convert an NTFS drive to fat without reformatting.

3. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ i beg to differ. Norton Partition Magic can do it. Though ive read a few reviews that have titled it 'Partition Tragic' due to loss of data. Either way I dont think ill bother, I dont have means to back up my data and I dont feel like losing it all.

4. Loonylion

don't trust norton disk utilities...

5. ndsrulz1

ndsrulz1 Active Member

Maxtor HD's need special drivers to be used so anything window is not natively associated with will not work on the 360

6. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Code:
    anyway, to convert it to FAT, you do have to format the hd...at least, that's what i've heard...

7. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

there is a way, its call backup....unless you dont have a PC or you dont know how to install a hard disk to your PC, you can always backup your data before formating.

8. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Code:
    that's the only way to keep your data, as far as i know...

9. calvin_0

true, but he was asking a way to keep the data, so i dont think he know about backup

10. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Code:
    why don't you simply copy the data to your pc, then format, convert, then recopy it to your hd??...

11. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol i know how to back up, problem is trying to fit 110gigs of stuff into 19.7 gigs left on my PC HD lol

SuperWinrar anyone?

12. calvin_0

what the? 110Gb?, what do you have in there >.>

13. Loonylion

Cant be done

14. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Or anything else with Norton in the name.

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ lol yeah i hate norton products.

and @ loony: yeah i figured, ill just wait and buy a new ext., I need a new one anyway

@calvin: 25 gig of music, hundreds of movies (600-700MB each) and thousands of photos. plus all the crap ive got in my 100gig PC HD. Hence why i need a new external, i cant download half as much as I would like.

16. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ mine would easily be way over that, half of mine are burnt to DVD to save space.

17. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

WD is really good, I need get one at least 500Gb since I only have a 250 GB hd.

18. Loonylion

Western Digital? they haven't been so good lately. Get Seagate.

19. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Code:
    lucky you, i only have a 37.8gb hd...  :( 

20. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ lol and i thought my 160 was small :p im looking at getting a couple of 500's and maybe a 750 when i get the cash.