1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[eSPXe] Loading old files

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ZeoX69, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ZeoX69

ZeoX69 New Member

I was playing Lunar 1, and all of a sudden my load didn't work. It loaded an old file that I must have saved over a dozen times. There goes 10 hours...
    All my other games load up to date.
    Why did this happen, and how is it even possible to do it on purpose/manually?

After this happened I changed some stuff around and it works just fine. No stupid comments pls.
    Also, I forget what the default memcard path is. I'm using this now: C:\Users\Kyle\Desktop\epsxe170\memcards\epsxe000.mcr

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the default memcard path is the memcards folder in the epsxe directory.

3. ZeoX69

ZeoX69 New Member

I think I figured it out. I must have closed the game using the X at the top right of the program.
    Incidentally, I was playing another game... I saved it. Closed it normally.
    Opened it up again and started playing something else (New game didn't work), so I closed that using the X and went back to the previous game I was playing.
    My file for that game was completely erased. However the 2nd save slot worked fine.

Why the fk does this happen? Was it programmed to work this way, or they just too lazy to fix it?
    They should have an unavoidable message saying "If you close this using the X, we'll erase your last saved game or revert it to an older save point... yes even if you close it normally and start up a new game we'll still erase it. Why? Because fk you, that's why."

4. Loonylion

probably the memcard files aren't written to disk immediately.

5. ZeoX69

ZeoX69 New Member

That doesn't explain how it deletes my file completely, or loads an old file that I saved over multiple times, hours ago, which worked fine when I loaded them previously.

6. Loonylion

if the file isn't written to disk by the time its cleared from memory, it will cease to exist, if updates aren't written to disk then the file will revert to its last written state.

7. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

My suggestion for this issue since no$gba suffers from a similar problem, make a savestate, afterwards save and reset the emulator, this should force it to update the save file

8. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

I had a similar issue with this one recently and I tinked with the settings quite a few times in order to understand what was really going on. The settings were properly configured and all of the good stuff, but later I decided to turn on the "LOG ENTRY" tab before starting the emulator and I found my problem.

The problem was that I did not have administrative rights to 'write' files into the memory cards at all. So I suggest either continue to do what you are doing or simply make yourself an administrator as your user account. I'd turn on the "LOG ENTRY" tab on the menu just to make sure the emulator reads/writes to the memories correctly.

Tah, tah.

9. Loonylion

if you're using windows 7 or vista and the emulator is in the program files directory this will happen. the solution is not to put the emulator in program files.