1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Error Message on DSi - Please help

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by angusangus, Sep 16, 2012.

1. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

Hi,

My boy's DSi is running firmware 1.4E and has an Acecard 2i with lots of games on it.

It's been working perfectly for quite some time but today when starting up, I get the 'ALEX RIDER STORMBREAKER THQ' icon but when I touch it the screen goes black with the words

'An error has occurred. Press and hold POWER Button to turn system off.
    Please refer to the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for details'.

The Nintendo Flipnote Studio etc works fine so it's obviouly the Acecard or Memory Card.

I have wiped the contacts on the cards then tried putting the latest firmware on the memory card but when I put it back into the DSi, I get the same error message so it does not allow me to update it.

Anyone know what I can do or has the Acecard gone belly up?

Many thanks in anticipation

2. rockerzz182

rockerzz182 Well-Known Member

Is your Acekard supporting version 1.4E?If not that is why you are getting that error or try to reinsert again your cart because sometimes the contact between the cart and the ds causing that error.

3. angusangus

thanks for the reply, yes, as alluded to above, the DSi shows v 1.4E. I've not interfered with the card or memeory card at all and just this morning it stopped working.

I've rubbed the contacts a few times but still get the error.

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Your card has not been patched to support the DSi latest firmware.
    Go to the Acekard site, download the latest patch and then copy it over to your MicroSD
    Then load your card on a DS, and run the patch.

Once the patch is finished, load your Acekard on the DSi. You are also now free to update the DSi to the latest version 1.44.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

As much as I appreciate your effort, the two posts above you are exactly the same as yours. There is no need for a third.

6. angusangus

Thanks for the posts guys, I'll let you know the result once I have got my hands on an old DS

But until I do that, can anyone tell me, why this has happened though? As I mention in my OP, it has been working with no problems for ages then suddenly this error message pops up?

Cheers

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

What has happened, is that the DSi firmware has been updated, and in that update there is a block for flashcarts. Your Acekard 2i is unable to load on the DSi, so it throws up the error you see.

The patch that we talk about, recodes the card to bypass the DSi system.
    Never update your DSi before updating the card itself with the latest patch.

8. Dannymizer

Dannymizer Well-Known Member

It seems that the card was working fine with the DSi v1.4E

If the DSi was never updated, as it seems that way from OP's post, then what may have caused it to get the error? If DSi was updated it would have changed to v1.4.4, Correct? OP states the DSi is STILL on v1.4E and card worked fine for some time

Maybe I'm reading OP's post wrong but if the patch needs to be run OP has some good help from the posts about using the DSL to fix.

I'm running a DSi XL with an AK2i and I updated DSi from 1.4E to v1.4.4U about a month ago but had the new firmware on card before update.

Best of luck getting it to work.

9. angusangus

As mentioned by Danny, I have never updated the DSi. I always have the wireless disabled to stop the kids from doing so.

So yes, that was my original query - why was it working one day then not the next? NO updates or anything had been done.

Anyhow, hope to get my hands on a DS this weekend. BTW I have bought a couple of new Acekards so hope to have them delivered in the next couple of weeks

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I believe updates can be included in game cartridges

11. Dannymizer

Dannymizer Well-Known Member

I don't know if a contact issue would cause the error but try ejecting and inserting the cartridge over and over a few times. Don't remove the cart completely out but just eject and push back in, this will cause the terminals to slide over each other and if there was a bit of dirt or anything that will not let the contacts touch, it may just clear it out.

I remember reading about the AK carts having contact issues but I'm yet to experience a problem.

Ethan, I updated card before DSi not after so mine is fine. I have a ds lite around in case I do need it one day.

12. angusangus

Well, updated the Acekard firmware using a DS Lite, as all mentioned above and it works great. Thank very much.

A couple more questions please.......

Although my other boy's DSi is working okay with the old firmware, do you think I should update that too?

On the games menu, the 'ak2ifw_update........etc' shows on the display. Can I hide/get rid of that so the kids don't click on it?

Thanks all

13. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

It's great that it works.
    Onto your other questions.

I highly suggest you update to the newest DSi firmware. Not the latest 3DS though if you choose to buy a 3DS.
    You can delete the file from the menu. Just press 'Start' on the DSi, scroll down to you hit 'Delete' and follow the prompts.

14. angusangus

Thank you. When you say DSi firmware, I take it you do actually mean download the latest firmware to the DSi?

If so, I thought the advice (from most) was to never download any updates from Nintendo

Our 2 boys DSi's both show firmware 1.4E. Should I leave that be or update to the latest as I thought the later DSi firmwares would stop all game carts working?

Sorry to sound so clueless, cheers

15. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

The general rule of thumb for flashcart and DSi/3DS users:
    Make sure your flash cartridge is the latest updated version and is made sure to support latest DSi/3DS firmware, before performing the console's update. If you update the console before the cartridge, then you are risking the possibility of the cartridge from working on the updated console. If you are not sure if there is an update for your flash cartridge that will support the latest console's firmware, best option is to not update the console for at least the time being.

16. angusangus

But is there any need/necessity to update the console or is it best left as is?

17. Prectorian

Far as I know, it ain't necessary unless your kids want to use the 'Download Play'. If its just to play between themselves, then really there's no need to update the console. You will however need to constantly update the flash cartridge so that new games work on it. I've never update my NDS console from day 1, and its been 3 years since I bought it. Simply because I never use the 'Download Play' option.

18. angusangus

Thanks prectorian, that's what I hoped. Same here, never updated the console since we bought them bit about 2 and a half years ago. As mentioned earlier, I switchd off the wireless etc on them so they are both played as standalone only.

Cheers

19. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Yes, I mean the Nintendo DSi firmware. The one you update via the DSi.

It is absolutely fine to update to the latest DSi firmware. You just need to have a flashcard that is updated to support it.
    I always use the latest updates. It fixes bugs and those sorts of things. Yes, they're not necessary but I suggest them all the same.

In this case, your Acekard can support the newest DSi system, so update the system menu on the DSi. You should have no problems with your flashcard.

@prectorian, you cannot update the DS. Just the DSi and 3DS.

20. Prectorian

Still that doesn't mean updating the console is necessary.
    Especially when one doesn't use the online features such as "Download Play", then pretty much its not important to update the console.
    Even if one does decide its necessary to update the console, the general rule of thumb still applies; never update the console before the cart.
    Keeping the flash cartridge up to date is more important as that is what determine whether new game roms will work/play on it.