1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ePSXe Issues. (Black screen)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by usernameladiesman217, Jul 20, 2011.

1. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Alright, so I've been using ePSXe all my life basically and have recently started getting a problem with it.

The problem with it started once I changed to Windows 7 64 bit.

The problem: I get a black screen no matter what game I try to run. The game isn't freezing because I can still press escape and get back to the 'emulation panel' I checked for guides and most of them say it's a plugin or file name problem, but I've tried changing to .img and .ccd files etc and I get no different results. This was with ePSXe 1.7 so I tried 1.6 and the same problem occurs.

What games am I trying to run?

Gran Turismo 2, FF9 and some others, but the fact is I have run them all before with little or no issues.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps I set at too high a resolution? But I doubt that, I mean it gave me an 1980x1080 option.

I'm not sure, I have re-downloaded it as well to see if it would make any difference, but it didn't.

Any help would really rock.
    Thanks.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

When you changed to Windows 7, did you change your physical computer? Are you using different hardware?

What plugins are you using, and what are their configurations? (specifically, what graphics plugin).

3. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

I actually forgot to mention that, sorry :p

Yeah I did get a another graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5670 (Direct X10)
    I also added another gig of RAM putting me at 3 gigs.

Not sure if any of those could cause issues though I'm not sure.

Plug ins I'm using:

P.E.Op.S OpenGL Driver 1.78 and P.E.Op.S soft driver 1.18

I also tried Pete's D3D Driver 1.77

I have a few others, but I can't recall if I have tried them, I'll list them anyways.

Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.77
    Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9

Using P.E.Op.S DSound Audio Driver 1.9

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Have you tried running it in windows mode? Try set the plugins settings to 'Nice'.

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Fiddling with your graphics plugin will be your best bet. It's likely that your old setup worked with the plugins, but your new card won't.
    Since you have a non-Nvidia card, start by using the Pete's D3D and DX drivers. Set them to "Nice" defaults and work from there.

A black screen usually indicates a graphics plugin problem (either need a different plugin or different configuration). The game will sit at a black screen, but you can still ESC and return to the ePSXe GUI, this is normal.

qwertyuiop2016 likes this.
  6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you cant use the openGL plugin with ati cards, you have to use one of the directx or software ones

7. HELLO!!!

HELLO!!! Member

HELLO!!! I FOUND A VERY UNORTHODOX FIX TO THIS... I DONT GUARANTEE IT TOO WORK THO.. BUT IT WORKED FOR ME AND IT MADE ME JUMP AROUND THE HOUSE, SO WHAT I DID WAS:

1. I DOWNLOADED A BRAND NEW EMULATOR CALLED PSXeven
    2. I COPIED THE PLUGINS AND BIOS FROM EPSXE TO PSXeven
    3. I RAN MY ISO ON PSXeven and it worked!! I WAS HAPPY ENOUGH FROM THERE
    4. BUT WHEN I OPENED EPSXE AND TRIED MY ISO THERE, IT WORKED TOO!!!
    5. I DONT GUARANTEE IT TO WORK THO... BUT HEY GIVE IT A TRY... I ALSO PRAYED VERY HARD :) ;D

8. Loonylion

please don't use all capitals.

As I said in your other thread, it was coincidence.

9. HELLO!!!

HELLO!!! Member

HELLO!!! I FOUND A VERY UNORTHODOX FIX TO THIS... I DONT GUARANTEE IT TOO WORK THO.. BUT IT WORKED FOR ME AND IT MADE ME JUMP AROUND THE HOUSE,

ALL I DID WAS, I PUT MY ISO INSIDE THE EPSXE DIRECTORY (IT DOESNT WORK WHEN I LOAD IT FROM ANOTHER LOCATION)

IT ALSO WORKS WHEN LOADING IT FROM A 1-8GB USB DRIVE.... sorry for the CAPS people i just copied this from my old post its called EPSXE Black Screen fix (Maybe hahahahaha ) search it

10. qwertyuiop2016

qwertyuiop2016 New Member

Hello guys, i using window 8.1, how can i make the epsxe 1.90 support it ? when i open it, it always black screen. Anyone can help me ? Besides that, my window is using intel core i5-4210U CPU 1.70GHz, Ram 4Gb

11. Loonylion

if ePSXe does not support windows 8.1 then there is nothing you can do about it other than wait for the developers to decide to support it.

qwertyuiop2016 likes this.