1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ePSXe issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mikeb131, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeb131

mikeb131 New Member

This emulator was working fine up until a couple of days ago then on launching Windows closes the program claiming DEP protection was activated to protect the computer... I tried excluding it from the list which worked the first time but since then I have had no luck and id wont run.... Anyone know how I get round this?

Cheers

2. tomitanoshii

tomitanoshii Well-Known Member

DEP Errors are mentioned in the epsxe's FAQ, just go to control panel --> system. On the advance tab go to performance ----> settings then choose "turn on DEP on all programs and services except those that I choose" then choose the epxse's .exe file

3. mikeb131

mikeb131 New Member

thanks but I've already done this and it only worked for the first instance, but when I came to use the emulator the next day I still had the problem. I tried exempting the exe file again, but this time to no avail.

4. tomitanoshii

tomitanoshii Well-Known Member

Posting your computer's specs, epsxe version and plug-ins you used when this error occurred will help. Try downloading pete's plug-ins here http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm. Try using Pete's Windows OGL/D3D PSX GPUs since it gives less errors.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if DEP is still causing a problem, you can turn it off.

Read the following instructions carefully before you start to make sure you understand what you are doing.

1) Open 'My Computer'
    2) Open your C: drive
    3) Go to the 'Tools' menu and choose 'Folder Options'
    4) On the 'View' tab, make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected, and also that 'hide extensions for known filetypes' and 'hide protected operating system files' are both unchecked. If you're not happy with this you can put it back how it was in a minute. Click OK
    5) In your C: drive you should now see a file called 'boot.ini'. Right click this, choose 'properties' and unset the 'read only' flag. Apply and OK
    6) Open boot.ini in notepad You will see a line underneath '[operating systems]' that looks something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=OptIn

7) The '/noexecute=X' part is what we are interested in, change it to '/noexecute=AlwaysOff'. (without quotes of course) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE.
    8 ) Save the file and close notepad
    9) Go into boot.ini properties again and make it read only.
    10) Now you can go back into folder properties and reset the options you changed earlier if you wish
    11) Reboot.

These instructions are good for Windows XP and 2003

6. mikeb131

mikeb131 New Member

Worked a treat by turning it off - Cheers for the workaround!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.