1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ePSXe, How do I get SQL files to play?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bgknoccout, Mar 13, 2010.

1. bgknoccout

bgknoccout Member

All the games that I have that are under this file type do not work. Do I need to configure some of the options in order for it to work, if so, how should I? If that's not the problem, can someone help? I'm not very good with computers either, so the file type probably isn't even the problem (maybe?)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

sql files are not game files

Please give step by step details of what you are doing with the files you download from here.

3. bgknoccout

bgknoccout Member

Well I download them, extract them into a new folder with winzip, and that's basically it. All the games I've downloaded that work that I have are all IMG files, the ones that don't appear as "SQL Server Database Primary Data File". Is there any altering I have to do with it?

4. Loonylion

OK, go to tools->folder options in 'my computer' under the 'view' tab should be 'hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck this and apply, then post the file extensions of the files you want help with

Basically your computer is recognising the file extension for something it isnt.

5. bgknoccout

bgknoccout Member

Alright, I unchecked the "hide extensions", I'm not exactly sure what you meant by posting the file extensions I wanted. What file extensions exactly do I need? I don't know anything about what I should do, I'm only following what you're saying, haha. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I should be doing with these SQL files, and what to do to get them to work with ePSXe. I have about 5 games that are labeled as SQL, and one of them somehow is playable, while the rest aren't. It's confusing to me, sorry.

6. Loonylion

what are the bits after the . in the filename (wasnt visible before, now is) for each of the sql files?

7. bgknoccout

bgknoccout Member

It says .mdf after the file names.

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

MDF is a Disc Image. For what ever reason your computer has associated MDF with SQL, which isn't right, but really doesn't matter.

ePSXe 1.7.0 can run MDF files directly. Earlier versions will require you to use a virtual drive program like Daemon Tools to mount the image to a virtual drive and trick the emulator into thinking you are running a CD in a CD Drive.
    http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon

9. bgknoccout

bgknoccout Member

Hmm, that's odd. That kind of explains why one of the games will play, but doesn't explain the rest. I'm using 1.7.0, too.

10. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You need to adjust your plugins to get the games to play correctly.

Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 and Pete's D3D 1.77 with Default Nice settings is enough for most games. Some games like Resident Evil don't work very well at all (lots of graphics glitches). Some games require special game fixes to run correctly.