1. This forum is in read-only mode.

emulators for ndsl

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jaybec9, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybec9

jaybec9 New Member

Hello, been looking for an emulator to play snes games on the ndsl, I have a acekard 2.1 with easy flash 3 in 1 and have tried the snemulds and it will launch but wont recognize any snes roms. Can't seem to find alot about emulators for the nds mostly for pc can anyone help out what could be wrong?

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I use snemulds and it works perfectly for me... the problem i think is that you do not have your snes roms in a folder titled SNES on the root of your card... if you don't have them there, it cant find them... so try that and let me know if you have anymore problems...

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

If you want to change the directory listing, modify the configuration file.

4. jaybec9

jaybec9 New Member

I put them in a folder named SNES on root of card, if I go directly to the game NHL '98 it just freezes same as any other, if I run the SNEmulDS it loads to a menu and on "select rom" comes up with a empty screen. Do I need to patch it?

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

What version of SNEmulDS are you using?

Some games are incompatible, and thus has limited what I can play...

I have the latest 3 versions just incase...but generally the latest one should work...

I have an acekard 2.1 as well, same rig (with ezy 3 in 1 card as well) and it doesn't need patching...

Is the configuration file in the root as well, when ever I get a emu I always put everything into the root, even the read me file, once it works, I start removing until, well everything works with all unessacary files removed...

Some txt are configuration files, which I learnt from the lemings homebrew game (awsome port!).

Also, the size of the games prevent them from working, I forgot the file size, but i know mortal kombat 3-umk3 will never work, at least, correctly (one version of SNEmulDS can play it but at half speed and no music...which you have to disable for some games to work...)

Diffenitly check the compatibilty guide if you can locate it :)

6. jaybec9

jaybec9 New Member

Thank you for the info, I'm using version 6 but noticed the config file is being changed by my pc to a microsoft office config file, this could be my problem. Also the games are larger so thats another possible issue.

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Did you extract the game? They are probably ZIP, 7Z or RAR files. Those are merely archives, and you have to use a program like WinRAR to extract them. The NES roms should not be "Large files" The archives are larger because they contain multiple copies of the game (different languages, hacks, mods, etc).

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

He's using a snes emulator, and from experience some games may not work over a large file size...

Also games with "chips" (ie star fox) will never work with it, unfortunatly...

But they should at least come up in the directory...

What I found useful when extracting the documents is opening the archive and "pulling" the files one by one into the sd card directly instead of extracting the whole thing, but I've never encountered the config file changing to a microsoft office format, it's probably because you may just have it set as a default thing, it shouldn't be a problem as these config docs are meant to be txt anyways...

Try this-make sure the SNES folder is named in that same font (not snes) and try downloading a know game for it...

Try to get F-zero (euro or usa shall do) or Axelay (same again) from this site, also I have version 0.6 of SNEmulDS, that is most compatible especially with games such as f-zero (as the mode 7 graphics are only just coming around for this emu, but on 0.6 it works dead on perfect!)

And just in case-make sure the games in the folder are .smc files, anything else may not come up, and avoid patching them :)

How big is the hockey game exactly?

If it's past 4 mb then it would struggle to work-case in point mortal kombat 3...

I hope that fixes it-as long as the config file itself isn't changed it should be fine, maybe your comp just has microsoft office set as the defualt to open them files.

9. anandjones

Configuration file is usually .ini (for DS homebrew anyway that I've found, to be used with Ini parsers etc.) or .txt or perhaps .cfg. Haven't found one that is past 4MB, otherwise it wouldn't work (loaded in RAM to play). And Mode 7 was indeed a good way to display linear graphics like that and such :)

10. jaybec9

jaybec9 New Member

Thank you for all your help, got it going didn't realize 7z was a zip file, the icon looked like a standard ROM so didn't even think about it. One more question, is there other emulators for the DS to play other systems games?

11. anandjones

Of course :) Read the topic here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.