1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Emulation Laws?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 9NineBreaker9, Mar 16, 2008.

1. 9NineBreaker9

9NineBreaker9 Well-Known Member

I don't know where else to put this, so I'll just try here >,>

Ahem; what exactly are the laws regarding emulation of games here in the United States? I've been told several things, mostly that it's all illegal, but I have two questions to ask of that:

1: If you own a physical copy of the game, meaning that I payed for it and have it in my hand, is it legal to own a copy of that game for emulation purposes? And, should you have, say, "misplaced" that game in a rental car several states away from you, can you still emulate that game, despite paying for it yet not having it with you?

2: If a game/system is no longer in production, like the Playstation or Nintendo 64, is it legal to emulate these games? I don't really see why it would be illegal, as how are we, the current generation, ever going to play awesome games like Earthbound or Super Mario RPG?

So...thanks for anyone who can answer these questions. The internet has information for everything BUT the most important questions in life...video game questions =])

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

1) it is legal so long as you made that copy. If you no longer posses the original, then it is probably illegal.

2) it is illegal while the copyrights are still in force.

3. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

so this site is illegal!

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

No shit... We've never stated otherwise either, we're not delusional, what you're doing here is illegal, as I've said repeatedly, in my mind it's a matter of morals, if you use the site properly to test games to make an informed decision on whether to purchase a game or not then yay, if you use it to just get free games and never buy any of the good ones then I'd like to ban you, sad thing is people always say the former even if they do the latter.

5. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

6. jacoblam365

jacoblam365 Well-Known Member

Hi. well this message is not to judge the legalness of this website nor i am here to do so. but just for your information. Seph did received a warning letter before, so the download section did go down once.

7. I dont download games very often from here, nor can I afford to buy video games...
    so I think as long as I only take what I need its ok....but I have bought a lot of video games
    some of which I have downloaded, just because I would like to keep my copy working
    I havent downloaded a game in a while though ;D

8. rorybob

rorybob Well-Known Member

Is it illegal if i play a different type of the game ( i.e Pokemon Crystal instead of Pokemon Silver)
    But i owned the first one ?

9. Seph

No, if your copy is downloaded it would be considered illegal, most copyright laws give you the right to create a backup copy for usage should the original copy be damaged; not download one. Whether or not a judge would see a difference between the two can be debated, but it safest to just assume it's not legal; if you even care about that of course. :)

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Yeah but lets be honest here... most law enforcement systems are flawed and biased against us (the obvious pirate bad guys). Even if you did back it up yourself im positive that they would still try and do you for piracy.

The moral of the story here is F*** it, drink beer, smoke cigarettes and eat as many 0.45c noodles as you possible can.

11. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

okay, use Nike's slogan

JUST PLAY

12. 9NineBreaker9

9NineBreaker9 Well-Known Member

That's all I try to do; I would really hate to pick up a game, only to find that I completely hate it. This site has saved me a few time from making bad choices with my very limited cash flow. I mostly just download a game and play it for the night, just going "Ahhh...I remember that game...", then having it sit on my computer untouched for a month before I clean it out XD

...that reminds me. *deletes a stash of ignored files*

13. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Hear hear!
    I'm going to be honest, I RARELY (if never) buy the games I download off the internet, roms or otherwise. Only exception being FFTA and MMBN series. First, I don't have the money. Second, I'd have to travel around 250 km to Jakarta to actually buy original games. I don't think what I'm doing is right, but it's the only feasible way for me to enjoy video games.

14. fire9132

fire9132 New Member

Ok my question are roms illegal or not ? and if they are then why is this site still here ?

15. Seph

fire please read the thread one more time, we've clearly stated that yes ROMs are illegal, it'd be stupid to think otherwise; you get something you normally have to pay for, for free; how could that NOT be illegal?

And why it's still here isn't so important.

16. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

don't be modest the site is here because seph is god.
    and why are you so bothered if it is illegal or not your not going to go to jail for it as i not sure if there has ever been a case of a single user being done for downloading illegal content as it costs to much for the companys to go after single users insted they only go after people selling them or providing other with it

17. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

but really i havent seen eney news where the fbi or someone tracked down someones ip (i hop that isent internet shorthand) come to there house and arrested them, it would be a waste of money and time. but thay do go after the site owner so i guse that seph will only have to worry about that ;D