1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Emulation is dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grandork, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Grandork

Grandork Member

Hey guys, recently I've had a lot of extra time on my hands and was kinda bored of PC games, so I decided to try some console and handheld games.

The thing is, back when I was younger and had all the time in the world, I played all the good games for PSX, PS2, GBA, SNES, Wii, PSP and NDS. So, now that I researched about good games that I still haven't played, I found out that, in a little over one year that I haven't used an emulator, there wasn't much in the aspect of games, the only good one being XenoBlade Chronicles for Wii. And so I started wondering why was it that, even after so long, there wasn't much to play? I came to the conclusion that the speed in which emulators are coming out is the slowest it has been, with good reasons, consoles and handhelds are very high tech, with hardcore coding. Remember how hard it was to make an emulator for the PS2? It's still receiving updates, and it's still quite a pain to make it run flawlessly.

So, with the PS2/Wii/PSP/DS games halted, with a few crappy releases, now all we have is the PS3/Vita/WiiU/3DS, but the only one that has even a scratch of an emulator is the PS3, that is the RPCS3, that is, based on the devs, still a few years from running commercial games.

So I ask you guys, what has caused this drought of emulation? Was it that the consoles/handheld released really close together? Is the sheer amount of code and hardware power that every new console/handheld has made it really difficult to emulate? Or is it the reduced prices on a good TV and the Console/Handheld (not in Brasil, lol) that makes it just not worth wasting that much time on making an emulator?

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Answered the question yourself.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Emulation hasn't died :p

In the year you were gone Desmume has been successful in emulating network connectivity.

epsxe has now gone into version 1.8

FCEUX is now at version 2.20

And VBA-M is now at SVN 1149.

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Emulation these days is less about emulating new systems and more about emulating old systems on mobile devices for on-the-go gaming.

5. Grandork

Grandork Member

By the death of emulation, I was talking about new emulators, not updates of old ones :)