1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ELSPA closely working with Nintendo against R4

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by anandjones, Feb 10, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

British electronic media protection watchdog Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA) has announced that it is closely working with Nintendo Company Ltd. to try and eradicate the piracy threat the R4 flashcart device imposes on the Nintendo DS market. "We are aware that Nintendo has taken actions against these devices in other countries and we are working closely with them to consider the next step in the UK," said an ELSPA representative.

Just to refresh your memory, the R4 flashcart is touted as one of the best homebrew platforms for the Nintendo DS, but also poses a threat to the industry since it also allows for running downloaded pirated copies of DS games. The ease of downloading and copying games also makes the device very popular for those who don't want to spare any money for the games, but Nintendo has claimed that the DS piracy hasn't reached the mainstream market yet.

From ds.qj.net

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'd be interested to see how this proceeds, because the R4 doesn't actually break any UK laws. The most they'd be able to do is have the R4 guys fined for aiding and abetting piracy, and possibly ban them from selling the device in the UK/making firmware updates available.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not if they're not breaking the law.

4. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

Oh crap, Im scared now. I own an R4 :-\

5. wiirdos

wiirdos Member

I almost hope that the R4 doesn't go mainstream, because then if it becomes too popular, Nintendo won't make as much money, and then they might not make as many good games. :p

6. anandjones

Not many people know about R4 in NZ, I ask DS owners at my school if they know what it is, and they go blank. But hopefully Nintendo will continue to make good games even with the threat of R4 and other carts.

7. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

It'll go the same way as every other attempt to stop piracy. The pirates are alwaays one step ahead, it seems that the brightest sparks in each field work against the MNCs even if they're simultaneously employed by one.
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    Can't stop the signal!

8. ndsrulz1

ndsrulz1 Active Member

no one in my school owns one accept me thats one in 1000

9. PoppinBull3t

PoppinBull3t Active Member

In southern California [ where i live ] every single one of my friends that own a ds has an R4.

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

To be honest, I've never seen anyone with a flashcart own anything besides an R4. I'm surprised how many people have R4s nowadays.

11. germinator

germinator New Member

Almost everyone that has a DS that I know has an R4, about 90%..
    But I do not know about elsewhere.. :-\

12. DragonQuester

Only one of my friends own an R4, and so do I. The rest are clueless :p

13. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I hope no legal action gets done against the R4, I still want to play games on it :p

14. anandjones

Yeah hopefully not but that won't affect NZers because not many people know about R4 or any flashcart here.

15. pchai

pchai Member

Trinidad is the last island in the bottom of the Caribbean archipelago. one us dollar is worth 6 of our dollars. apart from that, any local business selling imported items usually doubles it. there is only one place on the island that sells flashcarts. the sell the ds-one for $800 tt. roughly double double the retail price anywhere else.

i have an r4 which i ordered off the net last december. since then all my friends found out about it and they all want one too. an original game is $400 for us. so unless nintendo sets up a caribbean division and starts sellin at the actual price and not double as we have to pay now...... im sorry. R4 FOREVER!!!!!!

16. lrsha1

lrsha1 New Member

lol.... this is funny, because most people that i know that have bought the ds bought it only because of the availability of the R4. Otherwise games are just too expensive for your average light gamer... which is the majority of people ive found playing the ds. my guess is that a lot less people would buy the console if it weren't for the R4.

not to mention the COUNTLESS crappy/shortlived games that are constantly released by nintendo... i would be VERY upset if i were to buy any of these from the stores. Anyway... the less i spend on crappy tedious games... the more i love my ds and decorate it with nintendo branded accessories! XD

dont shoot yourself in the foot nintendo!

17. pchai

pchai Member

yeah... me after brothers in arms ds. i played it once and got annoyed when i realised that was it. not even wifi multiplayer. i only played it again when i got my r4 and had a rom to put on the r4. my friend would use the original and i would use the rom. thanks again r4

18. DragonQuester

I love creations like the R4. I wish if they made a newer version of the DS, they could make something cmpatable with it like the R4. Or I wish the R4 could make GBA roms also run on it ;D ;D

19. anandjones

What do you mean, a newer version? Don't you mean they would make a new ds or gba handheld? Yes, it would be awesome if R4 was able to play GBA roms.. Lots of good games on that handheld..

20. DragonQuester

Yeah I meant that they were to make something handheld like the DS, but I was mistaken./ I thought It would happen in 2007, but the DS is still a used system. Nothing new as of yet.