1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ehh why not?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by afrokid13, Nov 14, 2009.

1. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

I just kinda wanna know if its possible for you guys to trim the roms before we download them...
    because its so easy for me to open NDS Tokyo trim and make it search for roms and trim them.
    If the Romulation NDS rom database is a some sort of file system of roms wouldn't it work sort of the same way? except it would take way longer. So I guess you would have to leave it overnight or something :p. Not really as much of a suggestion more of a Question.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I'll use what the mods would thin of the matter...

1.Because of the entire database would be trimmed back, it would take forever to do, which is time that could be spent on other things.

2.This site specializes with un touched roms

3.When compressed as they are, that is the size after trimming, when a file is compressed all the garbage data is crushed, trimming them would give you nearly the same sizes as what the roms are now anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Pretty much correct.

Trimming and Compressing with RAR make the exact same file size (maybe a few bytes differences), so you don't gain anything. You can try it out yourself. All trimming does is remove the garbage data at the end of the file. Compressing does the exact same thing.

Compressed Untrimmed ROM = Compressed Trimmed ROM.

So you have a lot of work (4400 ROMS or so) for zero gain, and then you don't have clean, unmodified ROMs anymore. Patches (either AP or Translation) require untrimmed ROMs to start.

4. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

ahh I see now.
    Just wanted to know