1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Educational ROMs for kids?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by GetAName77, Aug 27, 2007.

1. GetAName77

GetAName77 New Member

I was looking for a list of ROMs for kids with some educational value.

I have heard of "Brain Age" and "Brain Age 2". I felt these were for slightly older kids.

I recently found out about "Rush Hour". I felt this was a good problem solving game.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

GetAName

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

giving us an idea of the kids' age range you are looking for might help

3. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

Platnum Sudoku? And I think he's aiming at 10-14 age range.

4. stevo11185

stevo11185 Well-Known Member

I think you should give the kids some Japanese puzzle game to kids who don't know the language and tell them to complete the game. If they win you give them money :)

5. GetAName77

GetAName77 New Member

Thats funny. They are 5 (boy) and 8 (girl). Any problem solving game should be fine. If I get them direct math problems they get turned off after a while.

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

Brain Age 1 and 2 its a good game for kids, the puzzle is simple enough...plus they come with Sudoku, which is a fun puzzle.

7. lav-kib

lav-kib Member

brain age 1 and 2
    there is anouther one that is like them but i forgot what it is called i havent played my ds in awhile

8. Quavers

Quavers Member

There are actually quite a number of education stuff for kids that is if they can understand Japanese.
    NDS can stuff like learning different type of languages, all kind of Brain training games, storytelling etc.

I suppose you are looking for Big Brain Academy.
    Brain Age, Brain Age 2 and Big Brain Academy are popular among the brain training game. Big Brain Academy appeal more to younger kids because it is more graphical and answering the questions are more multiple choice. Brain Age, Brain Age 2 appeal more to older people.

There are some simple brain training games. They are easy for kids but not as fun as Big Brain Academy.

US version:
    Brain Boost - Beta Wave
    Brain Boost - Gamma Wave

Europe version:
    The Professor's Brain Trainer - Logic
    The Professor's Brain Trainer - Memory

Japanese version:
    Shichida Shiki Training Unou Tanren Unotan DS - Shun Kan Shoubu! Shuuchuuryoku
    Shichida Shiki Training Unou Tanren Unotan DS - Shun Kan Shoubu! Kiokuryoku
    Shichida Shiki Training Unou Tanren Unotan DS - Shun Kan Shoubu! Handanryoku

The above are same games in different versions. You will notice that the Japanese version has one more in the series compared to the US and Europe version. That is because the extra one has come out in English yet.

You may like making Origami (paper folding) -> Minagara Oreru DS Origami
    Athough it is in Japanese, it is not essential to understand as you just need to follow how the paper is folded.

9. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

https://www.romulation.org/tags/BrainTraining/

Brain Training ROMs as chosen by our members. :)

10. Quavers

Quavers Member

Brain Training -> I've tried out a number of them ;) :D

Puzzle is another category I'm most familar with. ;D

Just noticed that you mentioned that you're also interest in puzzle thinking games along the lines of Rush hour.

You can try:
    "Atama no Kaiten no Training Rubiks Cube & Chou Yuumei Puzzle Tachi" - don't play the main game Rubik's Cube it's too hard but you can play the other puzzle games inside. On the main menu, choose the 4th item. There are 7 puzzle games:
    1) Slider puzzle - Move the square block out <- try this out
    2) Stick rotation puzzle <- might be a little hard for young kids
    3) Tantagram - fit shapes to form picture <- try this out
    4) Marble Maze <- playable
    5) Nake Pazzle - <- don't play too hard to control
    6) Tetris like Rubix Cube formation - Get at least 3 by 3 of one colour to clear a colour. The objective is to clear 6 different colours.
    7) Number Puzzle - fill 4 by 4 grid with numbers such that they add up to the number “34” horizontally, vertically and diagonally. <- playable

You can try spot-the-difference games (for observation skills):
    -Quickspot (aka Unou no Tatsujin Soukai Machigai Museum)
    -Unou no Tatsujin Soukai Machigai Museum 2 (sequel to Quickspot but English version not out)
    -San-X Chara Sagashi Land

Storytelling:
    -Kodomo no Tame no Yomi Kikase Ehon de Asobou 1 - 6 <- Aesop fables; can be read in Japanese and English side by side. There is also drawing, a keyboard to play melodies, and a puzzle game.

Puzzle games:
    -Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 -> simlar to Lemmings, assigning skill to mini-mario to get them to exit on platform
    -Polarium -> Linking / turning squares linking them
    -Brain Buster Pack - Puzzles include Sudoku, Kakuro, Light Up, Nurikabe, and Slitherlink. Instructions are included in-game.

Maybe you can try "Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village" when it comes out in English, currently it's only available in Japanese. It's a story with many thinking questions -some a little IQ kind, some simple like trace the maze to the exit.

Actually most games include instructions inside.

I only listed selected items because it seems like you might want to restrict to educational / thinking games, easier to understand (for children) & most likely suitable those who cannot understand Japanese. If your criteria is broader then this, you may want to state and I can list you more games.

11. poiboy

poiboy Well-Known Member

and if you would like to spark your child's creative/artsy/right brained... try the new rom "drawn to life".
    it is a fun side-scroller that has the DS player constantly drawing on the ds touchscreen to create and animate areas of the game that they interact with.

it's fun

;D

12. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

OVIOUSLY BRAIN age 1 & brain age 2

13. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Mario is missing, and Mario's time machine if your a old schooler.

14. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

big brain academ is fun...

15. Skies

Skies Guest

Big brain academy, the original and by far the best.

In the newly released scrabble there is an option in the profile settings to play kids mode. I haven't tried it but it might be worth a go.

16. Quavers

Quavers Member

Smart Boys Gameroom is another one that has activities for younger kids. You might want to take a look at that.

17. jzwilliams

jzwilliams Member

wait you're using roms to educate kids? Isn't that sending a mixed message there (in more than one way)