1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Editing Pokemon ROMs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by LemonMonk, Nov 8, 2012.

1. LemonMonk

LemonMonk New Member

Hi,

I've made an account on this site to get some info from people who know their stuff.

Is there a program that would allow me to change any ROM to my hearts content? I'll use Pokemon ROMs for an example. I've created storyboards and a whole script to revamp Pokemon FireRed, the Pokemon game I dreamt of as a child. If I could easily change dialogue, events and locations I could make it a reality, that I'd stick on ROM download sites.

Thanks,

LemonMonk

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

So you want to hack pokemon game roms? Are you even up to the challanges ahead?
    You need to download loads of programs, there isn't any "all-in-one" program to do so.
    And certainly the program isn't the kind that 'serve in a platter' click and drag,
    you'll have to have some background regarding the many aspects of programming, at least some basics programming and graphic knowledge. In any case, good luck. If you ever sucessfully make one with no
    or few bugs, do upload and share your product.

Here's the site to download the programs : WAHACKPOKEMON TOOLS

3. LemonMonk

LemonMonk New Member

Thanks a bunch Prectorian. Maybe I should have mentioned this, but I have been programming with Java and C++ for 2 years now. Very IT literate.

Much appreciated!

4. Prectorian

That's good to hear. You could also use that site to learn somethings about hacking pokemon roms to make fan-made versions too. It's a Spanish site, but also have English portal. Looking forward to your product then, good luck.

5. isnorden

isnorden Member

Is there a simple way to edit in-game dialogues in a ROM, please? I recently found a great fan-hack of HeartGold on YouTube; so far I'm loving the game-play changes. but hating the snarky/sexually explicit dialogue the hacker added. If there's a way to sanitize the language with a re-hack, I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I'm fairly new to ROM editing, though, so please be patient with me.

6. Prectorian

Let me guess.....'Sacred Gold' or probably 'Perfect Heart'?

Anyway, no simple way;

Use a program called 'Nitro Explorer 2b' and 'PPTXT'.
    Basically, you need to extract 2 .NARC files.
    You'll need to extract/export those 2 narc files located at a/0/0/2 (menu and interface) and a/0/0/3 (story text) using NitroExplorer 2b, name the exported file '2' and file '3' giving it the extension .NARC, then you can use PPTXT to edit the text (you can also use Notepad), then you choose SAVE (don't press SAVE AS), then you run NitroExplorer again this time choose to import those 2 edited files back into the rom. Done.

Note:
    Once those 2 NARC files are extracted and open via PPTXT, you'll be presented with over 300 to 500 files generated from just those 2 NARC files. Hope you're not overwhelmed by the massive amount of text files to sheave through. Watch out for the text encodings, be careful not to delete or alter them. If you make mistakes, the end result might be rom crash/malfunction/not work.

You can read the tutorial : http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=48300.0
    The way to text edit HGSS is the same to that if you want to edit BW 1 or BW 2. I'm not sure if DPPt can be edited using the same method or not. But I can tell you that it'll be too overwhelming to work on this alone if you want to expect it as a short term project.
    By the time you see those 300 to 500+ text files generated from each NARC files, you'll probably call it a day (quit/give up).

If you want to edit the images/sprites/overworld, etc. You'll need other programs to work on it. But I'm not going to list them here. You can google the method by typing 'pokemon hacking tutorial'.