1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Easy method for switching discs on ePSXe using ISOs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by goobergraper, Apr 8, 2010.

1. goobergraper

goobergraper Member

I just discovered a great way to switch out ISO files on games using ePSXe when prompted to change discs. It's really quite simple, and always works because you fool the emulator into thinking you are actually physically changing discs when in reality you are merely shifting files. Here's how it works:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Download Daemon Tools Trial (link to download can be found here->http://download.cnet.com/3001-2646_4-10744439.html?spi=9e5bb6d5e2ea9146c5e8806f0ad4c4d2) This tool allows you to create a virtual disc drive onto which you can mount the image of your ISOs, thus rendering them as pseudo-physical discs.
    [*]Install Daemon Tools and start it up.
    [*]Create a new virtual drive.
    [*]Click on the Tools drop-down list and select mount image.
    [*]Select each of the individual files of the first disc of your game and add them to the virtual drive you just created.
    [*]Next, open ePSXe and under the Configure list select the "Cdrom" option and in the configure box drop-down list select the drive that you just made to be the drive that the emulator reads.
    [*]Now that you have specified the drive from which to run the game, start the game by going to file->Run CD-ROM on ePSXe.
    [*]Get to the point in the game where it asks you to change discs, then make a save state by going to Run->Save State.
    [*]Without closing out of ePSXe, return to Daemon tools and replace the files of the first disc in the virtual drive with the files of the next disc. This allows you to use the same save state rather than shifting drives and needing a separate state for each drive.
    [*]Finally, go to File->Change Disc. ePSXe will prompt you to press okay when you have switched discs. Since you have already replaced the files in the virtual drive you're ready to go. Press okay and load your save state. Your game will now proceed as though you have physically swapped out discs without ever having to.[/list]

There are multiple ways of doing this, but this seems to work best for me. Good luck and enjoy.

2. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

Well there is a "Change Disc" feature in the latest version of ePSXe.
    But I heard it doesn't work well, this method might prove useful.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

He mentions it in his post...but this is a simple, yet few steps too many process...

epsxe should be able to (on 1.7.0) load an iso without the need of a virtual driver, and swap on it's own.

But this WOULD WORK 100% though, I do advise this for people who can't get the disc switch going via the method I'd use.

4. goobergraper

goobergraper Member

This is only for ePSXe ver. 1.7.0, I believe the previous versions don't have the glitch, but this is a sure-fire way to switch without a hitch using the latest version. And yeah, sorry about any extraneous steps, I just wanted to give direction with the most clarity I could even though it's pretty straight-forward.