1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DSTT slow to save, R4 sound glitches with YSMenu

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by raptir, Mar 14, 2010.

1. raptir

raptir Member

I own a DSTT and an R4, both original, not clones. I've been using the R4 for a long time, because I was a little unhappy with the speed of the DSTT when I bought it. I want to play the new Pokemon game, and the R4 does not support it by default. I tried using YSMenu, but I found that I would get occasional sound glitches (the sound got stuck in a loop on several games). I then decided to give my DSTT a try, both with and without YSMenu. No glitches, but the DSTT took more than twice as long to save as the R4 (for example, it took 8 seconds compared to 3 seconds to save my Pokemon Mystery Dungeon saved game). That was both with and without YSMenu. Same MicroSD. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do, other than buy a new flash cart?

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Using same micro sd card? Might help to format it to optimize writing speed.

3. raptir

raptir Member

Same SD card, formatted the same. I formatted it using the Panasonic SD Formatter before any of this.

4. ShadownetSpy

ShadownetSpy New Member

- DSTT w/ Firmware 1.17a07 (Reported Freezing)

Side note, in that HG/SS thread, this firmware needs to be updated 1.17a12 however that too is reported of freezing.

5. raptir

raptir Member

I haven't had any freezing, actually...

EDIT: I'm not talking about Soul Silver, anyway. Yes, that's part of why I wanted to get away from the R4, but I'm talking about the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, which is different.
    Post Merge: [time]1268592609[/time]
    Two quick comments that might help someone figure out my problem.

When I used my 1GB card, which is slower (based on my own performance tests) than the 2GB that I've been testing with, the R4 performs the same while the DSTT performs much faster. If the 1GB is empy aside from the firmware and 1 game, it takes about 2 seconds to save. If my 2GB has nothing on it, it takes about 4 seconds to save. If the 2GB is near full (200MB free) it takes 6-8 seconds to save. The R4 takes 3-4 seconds under all conditions.

Second, I tried YSMenu on the R4 as an NDS file instead of a firmware, and I haven't encountered any sound glitches yet. Any idea as to why that would happen?