1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DSi Region Locking and Flash Cards

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by wonka8869, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonka8869

wonka8869 Member

If the DSi is region locked, and i buy a flash card such as an acekard2i or dstti, will these cards work? or will they be locked out? or will a firmware for the card modify the region?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they will work. The DSi is only region locked for DSi specific games, and at this stage it is not possible to run roms of DSi specific games.

3. wonka8869

wonka8869 Member

that was a satisfying answer, thank you

4. Zoidberg56

Zoidberg56 Active Member

To be honest I dont think its worth getting a DSi if you plan on using a flash card because every time that a new firmware is released for a flash card the DSi updates will block them all. I'll be sticking with my good old DSlite until I have confirmation that the DSi isnt blocking the cards.

5. wonka8869

wonka8869 Member

i'm keeping the ds lite, but i really like what i see on the dsi ware downloads. also, if it works i may give up the lite

6. Nintendude92

Nintendude92 Well-Known Member

When they do issue a mandatory update it would only be a matter of time until people come out with custom downgrades, firmware and the like.. Thats just me.

7. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

Ok
    1. Will the DSi be able to play normal DS games on flash carts already out? Or will they be blocked? Or
    2. Will the DSi only block the DSi-only flash carts?

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The original DS Flashcarts will not work with the DSi.

As for the mandatory updates and such for the DSi, as long as you get a good DSi card that has a firm team backing it, you'll probably be ok. But as you can see with existing flashcarts, the more abundant and popular (ie, cheap) cards are not supported well and firmware updates stop coming.

9. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

Yeah. True. I think I will wait cuz I'm not going to get a DSi right when it comes out, I'm gunna watch ebay for good deals.

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Just don't take the risk of updating firmware as of now, until they are able to update it faster and if you are able to run DSi specifics etc.

11. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

Right that makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.