1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DSi Facebook APP is anti-piracy!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTheRPGFan657289, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTheRPGFan657289

DTheRPGFan657289 Well-Known Member

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/03/dsi-facebook-update-also-fights-piracy/

Wow. I'm glad I don't give a **** about Facebook enough to wanna use it on my DSi, let alone wanna use it.

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Nintendo pulled a ninja move on all the DSi users with flashcarts...

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

A pretty obvious "ninja".

I mean, one of the big features of the DSi was it's updateable firmware being able to stop any Flashcarts. Even from the beginning old DS flashcarts did not work, and there were reports of the European DSi manditory update breaking the first DSi Flashcarts.

People just got too lax and started updating their DSi firmware without thinking. It seems pretty obvious that Nintendo would do it.

4. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

This is why my iPhone had 2.1, my Wii had the original firmware, and my PSP had 3.51 for the longest time.

And for the longest time, I purposely blocked the Wii's MAC address in case anyone decided to upgrade for some odd reason.

Man, people can be so careless.

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

You think that if they were to make an update on the flashcarts firmware, they would work again?

6. insanecrazy07

unless the code was designed to actually break the flashcart, then probably.

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

The Facebook Photo Uploads is an addition itself, 1.4 is the breaker overall.

8. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

And I doubt that to a fair extent... then again, Ninty are REALLY starting to hate us :p

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...I can't say i blame them-but this is another reason non-modders shall get a dsi over a psp.

Which I think is a great idea XD

If I could get more net outta my dsi I might upgrade-I do use facebook as often I come here-besides I have 2 other ds's to use...

(black dsL and graphite ds phat)

Though I feel sorry...and amused...by those who regulary use thier flash carts on dsi XD

10. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

I've also read this from Joystiq.
    http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/07/30/dsi-facebook-update-available-in-europe-also-blocks-homebrew/

Yes, I feel like this too actually. Do you think they will release a new flashcart to pass this firmware update?

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Update or new card is always a possibility...

12. kamuikurou

Well, I dunno flashcart updates will pass the updated DSi security system. Isn't this why we can't use our old NDSlite flashcarts on a DSi?

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

The "i" cards are built to by pass updates...

But personally-I think unless they make another newer card-your stuffed.

A firmware update could be possible-but just trying to bypass the game security is hard enough-let alone the system it's self.

14. DTheRPGFan657289

actually, the reason DSLite flashcarts won't work on the DSi is because Nintendo altered the slot. DSLite flashcarts for some reason have a slightly larger thickness than normal DS cartridges. The DS Lite systems had expanded slots to allow for easier insertion of normal game cartridges, and the emulators were sized to fit in this slot. And Nintendo exploited that by tightening up the slot. As a result, modders had to shrink down the DSi flashcarts in order for them to fit in these slightly smaller slots. As for me, I got a DSi and played it out of the box. I got the latest update and a brand new DSi cartridge. Haven't had any problems whatsoever. The only thing I'd do that involves the internet with this thing is downloading the games Nintendo puts up on their shop, which is very lax aside from Dr Mario.

15. kamuikurou

So that's it. I don't really understand how it works unless I see the pics. Time for some googling. Thanks for the info.
    Um... just wondering, what DSi flashcart do you use?

16. insanecrazy07

do you have an article about this?

17. DTheRPGFan657289

it was simple. I had the old Acekard 2 cartridge from my DS Lite still. I tried to fit it in. Couldn't go in all the way. Then, I ended up spending 25 bucks to get the Acekard 2i cartridge, and it fit perfectly. A few of my friends confirmed this as well.

18. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

That's not the only difference though, because when the DSi first came out people did try to use the DS/Lite flashcarts on them. It was not the size that was the issue, they would not start, none of them would work (a few like Acekard and Cyclo would with some internal modifications though, which was the start of the DSi models, though Cyclo still doesn't have one available).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.