1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DS games where you recruit dudes

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by buchichu, Jul 25, 2010.

1. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a list of ideas of DS games where you recruit various characters from the field, especially tactical games. I love that shiz. I'm already thinking games like FFTA2, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Knights in the Nightmare, Infinite Space and of course the ability to create party members in Dragon Quest IX but I'm looks for more. I remember a game I played recently with random recruits on the battle field and certain ones you can randomly get that are like rare shinies of the bunch because they can learn all techniques or whatever...just can't remember the game.

Anywho, any ideas of games like these would be great. I just love that high I get when an awesome character joins my kickass team YEA.

8)

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Suikoden Tierkesis.

3. Ulala

Ulala Member

Pokemon is a perfect match.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Oh dear :(

Pokemon does not even fit what the topic Starter is looking for.

My suggestion? Super Robot Taisen :)

5. buchichu

to clarify, not monster recruiting/raising/battling games and not games where the party is pre-determined - which is my bad really, as my examples of KitN and Fire Emblem are actually like that. Closer to FFTA2 where you hit a random battlefield and sometimes someone will offer to join you. I know there are a few out there like that I'm missing. I think Hoshigami - Running Blue Earth is another one like this.

thanks guys :)

6. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

You can try...
    - Advance Wars series
    - Etrian Odyssey I, II, & III
    - Heroes of Mana
    - Rondo of Swords
    - Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume

7. buchichu

oye, maybe it's Valkyrie Profile I was thinking of...? I've played all the rest of those recently (with the exception of Etrian Odyssey 3).

8. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Well, it's not really a random recruits, but determined on your Plume usage.

9. buchichu

ugh, driving me batty...I remember conversations online about a couple of the random recruits who are awesome because they lean all the skills. It was cool because even though I'm *pretty* sure they were random recruits, each character had a little backstory on their profile. There were main story recruits, too...the main guy's brother was one of them I think? and his fiance? what the crap game was that...

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The Super Robot Wars/Taisen games ARE just like what you described, albeit you do not go into random battle fields.

11. buchichu

mm, no - it's not of the Super Robot Wars/Taisen group. It was actually not well known or well played, in fact. oh, and during the battle sequences it would cut to another screen where each of your characters actually had a small army and a special attack based on their weapon which would charge up. You could attack normal, defend of charge I think. And then it did a sort of rock-paper-scissors for the upper hand.

It didn't get he best reviews but I remember liking it.
    Post Merge: [time]1280016639[/time]
    Oh yeah, here's one - the weapons had souls or spirits in them. And there was a dude with wings. :/
    Post Merge: [time]1280016896[/time]
    Holy crap I found it - Hero's Saga Laevatein Tactics.

Thanks all!

(P.S. check this one out if you haven't, it's pretty good)

12. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

The whole Suikoden series work like that.

Every game ahs around 100. recrutable characteres. With theyr own background and special events. (most of the time related to the main events).

Recruiting everyone is optional. And ignoring the main character, there is no "main team" most of the time.

Legend of Heroes also work like that... to bad there isn't a single game of the series on DS, nor translated to (U).

13. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Uh, DQ hand of the heavenly bride where you could recruit monsters in your team? Maybe Kick-ass monsters :p

14. namenick

namenick Well-Known Member

Did you try Disgaea?

You can create all your character...

15. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

16. buchichu

sorry for the multi-edits guys - the game I was actually searching for was Hero's Saga Laevatein Tactics. Wasn't well known or well received but I remember enjoying it.