1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DS brain training games an expensive scam?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Loonylion, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7912379.stm

Discuss.

2. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

A bit demandey. I'm scared if I don't I'll get banned now.
    ;)
    Well, I don't think many people expect to get smarter through these games. The main "get smarter" aspect is the constant testing of yourself to get better. If you have the game constantly telling you to get better, that's what you strive to do.

3. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

these games are just a bit of fun.

I find the fact scientists are researching the issue more alarming

4. meminpanda

meminpanda Well-Known Member

well it says that you can get the same result from a crosword or a puzzle but i get bored whit those thing if i dont see a timer and a screen xD
    and i was playing lucky star moe drill tabidachi . man that kagami is hard to beat he answers everything in 1.5 sec but i beated her! haha and i got a little faster on the math resolving problems ;)

5. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I guess if people have fun playing them then whats the harm. Seriously who buys a DS game 'because it will make them smarter'? I think some people are just a little too naive these days.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

They were only for fun purposes. Honestly, the challenges in them weren't very hard.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

You should also factor in good hand-eye coordination skills since we're talking about videogames here, assuming the DS Brain games count in this discussion.Say you have a sharp eye & good memory, but if your hands are a bit sluggish then you'll lose points just the same.

8. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone honestly believes that when they play Brain Age, they are actually improving their brain function, do they? It's just a timed puzzle/problems game. Any proficiency gained in the game is due to repetition and reflex, not a heightened awareness or intelligence.

I agree with the person above. I find it more suspect that someone actually funded this study.

9. Loonylion

these games are actually marketed as such in the UK

10. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Those ads were TERRIBLE!!!

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

But you know, if you let a kid 10 years old & below play with these kinds of games, they might help them improve basic skills like reading, memorizing stuff & basic logic as well.

12. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Wow... so THIS is why there's no cure for cancer, scientists are "researching" video games instead...

Honestly how is it a scam? it's a puzzle game.

Yeah good call there, the only reason I ever wanted to learn how to read when I was young was so I could tell when the SNES was saying to me XD

and finally
    Wow, they actually had to figure that out?

13. Loonylion

It's a scam because it is advertised as something that makes you more intelligent.

14. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

And the counter-point is that it never say's "intelligent" or "smarter" but is actually advertised as something to stimulate the brain, which it does

15. Loonylion

the adverts I've seen in the UK do use those words

16. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Really? The adverts I've seen in the UK use the words "keep your mind sharp" and "train your brain". Not once have I seen an ad that said Brain Age makes you "smarter" or "more intelligent".

17. Girogex

Girogex Guest

Next thing there going to have Mr. T advertising Brain training I gues it will be like "I pity the fool who doesn't buy brain training"

18. Loonylion

wouldn't surprise me.

19. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

I dont and didn't think it was necessary to make these games. Like the article said, surfing the internet causes the same bllood flow. Even playing games. Games that require strategy and make your brain work and think, those games, i think are even better then brain training. I think they probably somewhat work a bit and you could benefit a bit, but you can benefit from anything like a strategic game math problems, whatever.

20. CarnageMayhem

CarnageMayhem Member

Well putting aside the fact that is just a game, for a valid medical research, it needs years even decades to fully confirm whatever result throws.

So if there's anyone who really thinks that playing it, and just for playing, improves brain functions in a matter than even nature will envy, i will just laugh...

Of course it improves some skills (reflexes, more than anything), but as i said, is just a game. And of course brain diseases depends on a lot of factors, even those that science are unaware at the time, so why doing a research that, after all, will throw nothing really important and just a bunch of stuff that depends on personal criteria?...

Oh holy, that's why we're going to heck, lol...