1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dreamcast roms

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by IceReaper898, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

is there a way to convert a dreamcast file into an iso cause i downloaded sonic adventure for my chankast emu and every time I load sonic it just says to insert a disc..., ive checked multiple dreamcast rom comments and whenever som1 asked they just get called a moron.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

What exactly is the file extension?

While I have never used that emulator, I'm aware some can read the image (iso, etc) as they are.

And like the gamecube (gcm) it might be "gdi" format.

You may need a virtual driver linked to the emulator.

...from my past experience, it may need daemon tools but a specific version...

Problem with that one is...it fails to work on vista...

So just to help a tad-what OS are you using?

3. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

im using xp home edition and i already have daemon tools but its lite so maybe i need manager and the file extension is bin

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Bin should work....

My guess is you have the wrong version of daemon tools.

I forgot the version number, but it's....2.90...or near that number.

I'll dig around for you but many of the links I had found may be dead-so all I could do is find out the name.
    Post Merge: [time]1254578088[/time]
    Um...what version of chancast are you using?

From what I'm reading, any virtual iso driver should work.

You also need a system bios (need the correct region-the roms are american-i unfortunatly forgot which is which-but a blue or red swirl would let you know.)

And did you "mount" the bin file thru the virtual driver?

5. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

yes ive mounted the bin file and i have the bios files for all regions and im using the latest chankast version, and the only reason im using chankast is because i couldnt even get nulldc to run, i had no idea how to load a rom with it and i couldnt use my controller for controls

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Hrm, I had the same issues...

What colour is the start up swirl on the emu?

7. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

black, shouldnt it be red?

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Hrm.

Try the red swirl-ethier way you need to do something different.

(forgot which region the blue is).

9. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

how do i switch the swirl color?

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You will require a different bios.

I have read a guide...forget where it was-that taught you how to "hack" the current one.

Problem is...it's hex editing-it took 4 hours to do and the worse part is I can't find it :(

Just google "NSTC dreamcast bios" or something, or even "american" instead of NSTC.

Also...I have no idea if the games for dreamcast here are self booting or not-that is sometimes the issue.

11. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

im trying my best to get this thing to work cause if i cant it was a waste of 681 points for the game

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Just asking have you got games working on the emu before or your first time?

Because I have heard about how difficult dreamcast emu's are I just grabbed the smallest game and attempted to get that working...

It didn't sadly-prehaps my altered bios failed.

WHat game was it may I ask-I may be able to refer you to another simerlar game...sure you wasted some points...but they will come back-just gotta wait...

(I'm out of advice-if you want to make sure you get your points worth, it may be best to keep watch until someone who has one ansers...I'll be watching myself-my 2 dreamcast games that I got a year ago depend on this :( )

13. IceReaper898

IceReaper898 Member

the game is sonic adventure

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Do you have a gc by anychance?

Sonic adventure dx-it's an upgraded port apparently.

But that may cost another big pile pof points-not sure if the gc emu would let it work ethier...

I know my chipped gc would run it just fine XD

(To the mods-is the game in question self boot-it may help him out :) )

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if its a .bin file it will not be self booting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.