1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dreamcast Emulation Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by kurt.rock, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurt.rock

kurt.rock New Member

How to emulate the DC emulator in PC?

I downloaded an ISO from RomUlation (cdi format, if I am not mistaken).

& I also have Chankast, nullDC, DEmul, DreamEMU & Icarus from Emulator Zone.

But how do I load the ISO file in any of these emulator? I can't find a way that work.

Which is the best emulator to be used?

Thanks

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Recommended is nullDC and then Chankast. You should be able to load the image file from the File> tab in the menu.

3. CarnageMayhem

CarnageMayhem Member

Super Mega Edit: I screwed up... Haha, well, let my mistakes serve as an example for others:
    "Yup, 1.0.3 it doesn't work for me because is for Linux, and I'm using Win... I should read first before downloading and testing... Shame on me... haha, well anyway still the so called Naomi Edition doesn't work either. So I strongly recommend getting nullDC 1.0.0 beta 1.6."

Well, well... Now lets get on info:

XBox 360 controllers are fully compatible on beta 1.6, in fact, these controllers look in some guilty way as the dreamcast ones...

As far as i know, latest versions are 1.0.3 for Linux and 1.0.0 beta 1.6 for Windows. As I dont use Linux, I dont know how is its graphical interface, so this guide is entirely for beta 1.6, perhaps it can be used for those on Linux, I dont know, the Linux one seemed almost the same as Windows one in my failed test...

Anyway, here's the common option to begin playing:

First of all you need the dreamcast bios roms (dc_bios.bin & dc_flash.bin).
    Once you got them rename dc_bios.bin to dc_boot.bin.
    Then copy both dc_boot.bin & dc_flash.bin into data folder.

With this, nullDC will run. And now the funny part:

Once running you'll see two windows: one using command line (black background with white letters) and a common one with white background, forget about the black one. Haha ;D

On the whitey one:

Go to Options-->Select plugins.

A new window will pop, select as follows:

Power VR (graphics) plugin: nullPVR

GDRom Plugin: Image Reader Plugin

AICA (sound) plugin: nullAICA

Maple (Input/saves) plugin: [This are the so called controllers, tells the emu that a controller is "attached". Configure also Port B,C,D as required]
    nullDC Controller [Uses keyboard as input] or nullDC Joystick [If you want to use a joystick, xbox360 gamepad or something like that]
    nullDC VMU [Memory Card in few words]

Ext. Device plugin: nullExtDev

Then just click the OK button. Now exit nullDC, this is for saving changes made. Run nullDC again.

Now go to Options-->Maple-->Port A-->Config Keys for Player 1, and on this newly open window, configure as you like then hit OK.

If you want to play on full screen go to Options-->PowerVR, then on Fullscreen select enable and the resolution you want, then on Aspect Ratio (still in PowerVR) select stretch.

Well, we're halfway. Now to enable the VMU.

(In my shamed test, 1.0.3 have a fancy Select Image File with "No Disk", "..." and others buttons window. Only in this version, if you want to access dreamcast menu, you just need to click "No Disk" button.)

Go to File-->Normal boot. In the explorer like window that pops up hit Cancel button, and then hit "Yes" when the "You would like to boot w/o GDrom ?" window appears. Doing this will load the dreamcast menu (if i remember, you must configure the clock first).

Then on the dreamcast menu (sorry if i name the options wrong, my menu is in spanish ;D) go to File (second icon on first row), then select the vmu that's under the A controller, then select Erase All(Initialize) (this is the second option, the middle one), this will erase everything in the VMU (and i'm telling it because this option can be used later so be careful) then just select your icon and color, and you're done enabling VMU (if you have more, repeat the same process).

Get back to menu. Now you have two options:
    Close and then open again nullDC, go to File-->Normal boot, on the explorer like window search and choose the iso you want, then click OK (or is it Accept ???) and begin playing happily :D

Or... Without closing nullDC go to Option-->GDRom, and then click on swap discs, on the newly window search and choose the iso you want, hit OK, and then on dreamcast menu, just select Game (first icon first row) and begin playing happily too :D.

I think with this you can begin playing with not getting in too many details (just getting in those needed after all).

Hope this helps. (It helped me a lot :'()

By the way, i have played marvel vs capcom 2 (minor flaws) and Ikaruga under beta 1.6 using joysticks ;)

And sorry for any grammatical errors, i'm still polishing my engrish... I mean english, haha. ;D

4. kurt.rock

kurt.rock New Member

:)

Thank you all of you...

by the way, CarnageMayhem, i think my english is much worse than u :)

5. ray13j

ray13j Well-Known Member

Nulldc works great for me too.

6. CarnageMayhem

CarnageMayhem Member

After checking some webs, gathering info here and there, seems that a 1.0.3 windows version is out. It has the fancy "boot iso" window with buttons, but as i can see, uses shader model 2. Perhaps that's why it threw me errors on testing...

Anyway give a try and then comment whatever happens.

I'm still using beta 1.6 anyhow (apart from the shader issue, it has joystick plugin). :p

7. kurt.rock

kurt.rock New Member

Hi all,

Sorry but i still have the problem to load the game using those emulator. They asking for bios or some sort of bin and flash file... i only do have a ROM/ISO in cdi format...

please help...

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the bios is the dreamcast operating system needed to run the games.

9. kurt.rock

kurt.rock New Member

can u please help on where to find & how to use them?

10. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You need to use Google. Look for "Dreamcast Bios" or something similar to that. You'll find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.