1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dragon Quest V (EUR): Got past the piracy protection in the beginning - but why?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by serial_thriller, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, I'm using an M3i Zero with the latest cheat.db file. Before loading the rom (unpatched) I made sure to enable the cheats (version 1,2 and 3) to bypass the protection.

I've been reading the comments section for the ROM and it seemed that alotta people couldn't get off the ship at the beginning without enabling cheats or patching the ROM.

I've also read at GBAtemp that cheats designed to bypass piracy protection do not work for M3 flashcarts because of some 10 second delay when loading cheats.
    The relatively recent addition of the "instant code" function was supposed to get around this but its been said that this feature was "broken" since version 1.35 of the Sakura firmware.

Anyway, I enabled the bypass protection cheats and used the instant code function just to see if its true. For some reason I got past the ship segment in the beginning with no problems and made my way onto the overworld.
    Things seem to be working well.

So, basically, my questions are:

Why does Dragon Quest V (EUR) work for me?
    Does the "instant code" function actually work?
    Why are there three bypass cheats (version 1,2 and 3)?
    Does this have anything to do with the M3i Zero flashcart itself?

Phew, I know I should be glad that its working but I just wanna know why.

Hope someone can shed some light on this...

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I've never used the M3, but I've never heard of this "10 second delay" when loading cheats. Maybe that was just a bunch of people complaining because they couldn't get it to work correctly, but didn't load the cheats correctly? With these games and the Game/Save Fix cheats, you have to always have them on, because the anti piracy will happen numerous times throughout the game and not just one point. I think with Dragon Quest V the anti-piracy check happens at pretty much every single place you visit, and you won't be able to progress. Key events will not happen that are needed to progress the game.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

The different versions basically mean that if one code does not work for a particular device, you have two others to fall back on. You should keep only one of these enabled at a time.

4. Only one huh? Hmm, which one then? I don't really want to experiment and see which one fails.

By the way, it seems that the instant code feature works. In the past, I tired out FFCC: Echoes of Time and encountered the problem where I couldn't save. I even enabled the game fix cheat, but it still didn't work. However, seeing DQV working after enabling the instant code feature got me thinking it might work for Echoes of Time too, and sure enough, it did.

Maybe this 10 second cheat delay is not just a bunch of hooey....

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Any of the codes should perform to the same function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.