1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dragon Quest V (DS) Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by alexong96, May 14, 2012.

1. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

So I've decided to play some RPG on the DS that I barely touched. Unfortunately, I can't continue at some point of the game.

I'm at the starting cave, just before the protagonist's father left for the said cave. Now here's the problem, whenever I get a random encounter, the game freezes. It doesn't always freeze, though. Sometimes I can fight, sometimes it just freezes after an indication of a random encounter.

Here's some other info, just in case it helps:
    - I downloaded the ROM here.
    - Flashcart is EDGE
    - Firmware is 2.3
    - The audio is still intact whilst having a black screen.
    EDIT: Grammar Error.

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Patched game?

3. alexong96

No. I'm assuming it's still unpatched. This didn't happen back then. Just now.

www.romulation.net/NDS/3424-Dragon-Quest-V-Hand-of-the-Heavenly-Bride-(U)(M3).rar/
    ^ Of course, this IS a clean ROM, isn't it?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

If I recall, even back then EDGE had to run the patched rom for the game to run in it. Try patching it with DS-Scene Rom Tool.

5. alexong96

Yeah they did. But there's a reason for firmware updates. And like I said, it didn't happen back then even with a clean ROM. Just now. Anyway, I'll try it patching it. If all else fails, I'll download a different ROM release.

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Yes. None of the ROMs uploaded are patched.
    Even though, I will check when the next batch is uploaded.

7. alexong96

Alright. Thanks. Anyway, I downloaded a different version of the ROM. It worked properly. It might just be a bad dump. Requesting lock.

8. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Mind telling which worked and didn't. I want to check up on it.
    Requesting hold on the lock until this is answered.

9. alexong96

www.romulation.net/NDS/3424-Dragon-Quest-V-Hand-of-the-Heavenly-Bride-(U)(M3).rar/

^ This one didn't work

The one I recently DL'ed did. I can't post links from other Romsites. Can I just PM it to you?

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

PM is fine.
    I will check the RomU one tomorrow. Most likely, it is a corrupted ROM.
    But then again, you were able to play it...

Is the ROM you currently have patched?
    Does anyone know if this game has AP?

11. Prectorian

Yes there are AP inside this game. If I recall it was loop at the begining of the game. Can't remember exactly. But again, most carts has gotten over the issue with their respective firmware updated since back then or use DS-Scene tool to patch it for carts no longer supported by the dev team.

12. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Also all flashcards should have bean fixed by now for this game, Yes that is the issue you mention with AP.

13. Prectorian

Yup!