1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dragon Quest IX Help: Freezing at a certain point

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pacman97, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

I'm very new here(Don't worry, I've read the rules). I made this account in hope of resolving this problem.

I'm nearly at the end of the game where you go to the Realm of The Mighty via the Starflight(Starlight?) Express. A little scene comes in where the Express takes off and flies towards the Realm. On the first time going there, the sky darkens and you go through a little dialogue. Then it fades to black and I assume that a cutsene comes in after that. But I can't seem to get through that black screen. After it fades to black, it freezes and I can't do anything about it. I can only reset (I've tried waiting it out) and try again but it always happens. I'm getting a bit annoyed by it. Any help?

Now, I'm utterly useless at these types of things, so please don't hate on me for this. XD Although I'm pretty sure I have the original R4. It's got that "Revolution for DS NDSL/NDS" thing at the front). I have Wood 1.16 on it.

It also might be important to add that I played the game the same one before I added Wood onto it and it worked perfectly. But I played it again after adding Wood onto it. It was all good until near the end. The game is also the patched version.

Thank you in advance. I hope I added enough information.

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

First off, good lord, you are behind on your version of Wood.
    Second, back up everything on your MicroSD card, add new Wood R4 files instead of the old ones, and put all of your games and such back on.

Your problem should be solved at that point.

3. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Thank you for your reply.

I did as you said but unfortunately it still hasn't solved the problem. I replaced my old Wood R4 files(the _rpg and that ds_menu thing) with a newer version of Woof R4. Still nothing. I also backed my files up as well.

I currently have v.1.38

4. LuckyTrouble77

Oh lawl, I forgot the most important step. Sorry about that.

You'll want to back up everything, format the MicroSD card, and then add on the fresh Wood R4 files and everything else. The problem is that some of the old kernel files weren't overwritten completely, and their remnants on the MicroSD card are capable of creating hiccups in any game you may play.

5. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Hello.

Lol, okay. I just did that now but yet again, it didn't work. Am I doing it properly? I went like this:

Copy and pasted all my files into My Documents. I then formatted my MicroSD card by right-clicking and choosing Format. After that, I moved my files back on and deleted the _rpg and the ds_menu thing. I downloaded Wood v.1.38 and replaced the old _rpg and ds_menu with new ones.

It still gives me a black screen. I hate this...

6. LuckyTrouble77

Don't put the old broken Wood files back on first. Also, use the Panasonic SD Formatter.

7. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

So I'm supposed to format the card, put the new Wood files on, and then add everything else? Okay, I'll do that now. I'll tell you how it goes.

8. LuckyTrouble77

kk, hope it works out.

9. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Nope. It didn't work either. Man... this is incredibly irritating, isn't it? Sorry for your trouble. XD

Am I doing it right?
    1)Formatted card using Panasonic Formatter.
    2)Moved the files back into my card. Without the old Wood files.
    3) Pasted new wood files onto it.

I also did some research and found out that Wood runs better if you get a clean version of the rom. I currently have Xenom's version. Could that be the problem?

10. LuckyTrouble77

Definitely try a clean version of the ROM. As much as I like the intro in the Xenom version, a clean ROM is always the best way to go.

11. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Aight. And I assume that my save file will be compatible with the clean rom when I rename it, right?

I'm going to try tomorrow. I'm too lazy to try any more things. I'll see if I have more patience. XD I'm pretty confident that it'll work with a clean rom though!

I'll tell you what happens tomorrow. Thanks!

12. LuckyTrouble77

Yep, you've got it. Best of luck!

13. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Now, before I start downloading a clean rom, are there any other solutions that can resolve this problem? See, I don't want to waste my time downloading a clean rom only to find that it does not work and I end up wasting my bandwidth over nothing.

14. LuckyTrouble77

At this point, all you can really do is try a clean rom.

15. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Okay. One last question. Does the country of the rom really matter? I want to download the European rom instead of the US rom because it occupies less space. Will my save still work?

16. LuckyTrouble77

Be safe and get the US rom. The EUR rom is likely smaller because it was already trimmed. I don't generally recommend trimming, but it generally isn't too harmful. I'm just not sure if the saves are compatible cross region.

17. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

It is which language you prefer

18. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

Well, that's just great.

I played the Xenom's patch after uninstalling Wood because it worked before. And guess what? It still doesn't work. Not only did I waste my time getting up to this only to be slapped in the face, I'm starting to doubt if there are any solutions to this problem.

EDIT: Whoops. Stupid mistake.

19. LuckyTrouble77

Last check.

Disable soft reset. Disable cheats.

If it still doesn't work, I honestly think your save data is screwed.

20. Pacman97

Pacman97 Member

To be honest, I don't really think that that would work. I do remember me trying that, disabling everything and trying again, but it still doesn't work.

Anyways, I have an idea. Not sure if this is allowed or anything but am I able to upload my save file somehow here so you can get past the event with your ROM and then save after the event? If it is truly the ROM problem, then everything should be fine. Although I'll have to figure out how to upload the save...