1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Downloading With Flashget

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adrelith, Aug 18, 2007.

1. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is in the best place but I couldn't think of where else:

When using the Flashgot extension to integrate Flashget (a download manager) into Firefox to download files I noticed that I was being charged for the files I downloaded twice. I read up and found out this was because the script was loading twice and so on the other end it looked like I had got the file two times. An easy way to fix this I discovered is to right-click the "here to start it now" link and select "Flashgot Link". Or, if you don't have Flashgot then right-click the link and go to properties, then copy the URL and paste it into Flashget.

I still get the accelerated speeds, but now don't have to pay for the non-existent downloads ;D

P.S. If you're download speeds are a little slow I highly suggest downloading Flashget. I generally download around 3 times faster here when using it.

2. Phreak Hacker

Phreak Hacker Well-Known Member

Good tip for those not in the know. If people request this to be stickied, I'll do it accordingly.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We're working on some introduction guides for new people to read, obviously not everyone can figure out how a download manager works like you did.

4. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just confused as to why when I clicked the link and selected Flashget on the pop-up it charged me twice when Flashgot opens 10 connections not two. Obviously Firefox has to run the script before it knew that there was a file to be downloaded and then selecting Flashgot would run the script again. Right-click just stops Firefox running it.

Even if people don't care about getting double charged, it's better for your statistics if you don't get ghost downloads, right?

5. Phreak Hacker

Phreak Hacker Well-Known Member

True.

6. randalx2

randalx2 Member

I've tried to copy-paste the URL form the properties and put it on flashget but it downloads index.html and not the rom file.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I\'m not sure if it will work without flashgot, but check in settings that all header referrers are sent, including cookies.

8. randalx2

randalx2 Member

I want it to work like this. You click the download link and then It will automatically go to the flashget. What happenes is I right click the link first and choose download by flashget.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

That would be a flashgot setting, it's nothing to do with us.