1. This forum is in read-only mode.

download speeds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mc_vampz, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mc_vampz

mc_vampz Active Member

i have seen that some members of this web site have been moaning about the download speeds not being funny but most of the roms are free so who cares if u have to wait a bit longer for it to download well that's what i think anyway.

whats yr opinion?

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Well as an Admin I do care about the download speeds. We're supposed to be able to push 50mbit/sec but so far we normally don't do more than 20mbit/sec, and when I go to start a download I get 25kb/s. So we've definitely got some stuff to look into, regardless of how visitors feel.

3. Reider

Reider Modereider

I don't think anyone was complaining about the download speeds being funny so much as they were complaining about them being slow.

As far as my opinion goes, I don't really care too much, but that's partially due to the fact that I know that downloading a ROM or ISO from here is a lot faster after America goes to sleep.

4. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

I'm getting speeds today between 100kb/s and 120kb/s so I'm happy. :)

5. DerikkuKun

DerikkuKun Member

Because I use Dial-Up my download rate is around 5.6MB - 6.1MB per second.

u___u

Curse People PC.

Dx

6. Seph

5.6MB - 6.1MB per second? Are you sure? That's like a 60mbit connection.

But talking about download speeds, I think we proved yesterday that we are capable of pushing a whole lot of data when needs be. Even now we're still using upwards of 50mbit/second. It's pretty insane really, 665GB of data sent in the last 24 hours.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

he means KB/s not MB/s

8. Seph

Yeah, I figured that too. :p
    But that's actually not a bad speed for 56k dial-up.

9. ZCU

ZCU New Member

I'm downloading from here for the first time and it's between 50 and 60, going up to 70 every once in a while. It's much faster than other sites so i really can't complain.

10. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

One great thing about being an Aussie :p I'm getting between 500 - 800 KB/s. That's not super much when I can download at about 5MB/s but it's great for a free ROM website ;D

EDIT

Just realised that was with Flashget turned on. I've turned it off not and I'm getting between 150 - 300KB/s which is still good just not as stable as before. The fact that Flashget is on also explains why the site says I've downloaded half my roms twice.

11. Seph

Adrelith: You're doing it wrong then, don't left click the download link, that way flashget will close the link and start it up again within itself, so we count it twice. With the flashgot firefox extension you can right click the link and choose "Download with FlashGet". That will make sure it's only counted once.

12. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, I figured it out last night and posted a topic about it here. Thanks though :)