1. This forum is in read-only mode.

download speed recently

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carbonara, Sep 7, 2007.

1. carbonara

carbonara New Member

is it because of my points? because suddenly these 2 days, the bandwidth seems to be slightly slower than usual.. any people suffering the same fate as me?

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

http://66.90.66.147/cacti/graph_image.php?local_graph_id=5180&rra_id=1

We're only using 42mbit/sec right now, we've pushed 122mbit before.

Also I tried downloading a file just 10 minutes ago, I got 700kb/s per second, would probably have gotten my full 1MB/sec had the file been larger than 4 MB.

3. teoks

teoks Member

for some reason my download speed here has become nearly non-existent since sometime last sunday or so

previously i could get speeds exceeding 100kb/s, or at least a 40kb/s average, but ever since this sudden cut occured, i get like 2kb/s!! and get timed out before i can even complete downloading a 4MB rom.

wonder if someone else has the same experience too recently?

4. Seph

Where are you located?

I can't find anything wrong, I'm getting 1MB/sec across the Atlantic ocean... I even tried making myself a normal member to make sure I was downloading using the same code as non-premium members.

5. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well i also having the similar problem...

I'm in malaysia.....

Yesterdays download speed is 30kb ~ 40kb, today download speed is 150kb o_O

it seem to be vary from day to day, sometimes i even get 10kb ~ 1kb

6. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

10~1? Do you have DSL?

7. calvin_0

ya 1Mb line...

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

in that case 150kB/s is about as much as you can get. Indeed; the formula I normally use would set your maximum speed at 100KB/s, but that formula is intentionally inaccurate to allow ease of calculation. The real formula is line speed / 8; so 1,024,000 / 8 = 128,000, so your max download speed, assuming you get 1Mb/s through your line, is 128KB/s. You get slightly more than that, so your actual connection speed is either 1.5Mbit or 2Mbit, even if you're only paying for 1Mbit. If that is the case, then don't say anything ;)

9. lexer

lexer New Member

Well, for me too

I'm from singapore using a 5mb line

Got a dl speed of 4kb/s and time out in about 1 min

10. Seph

Our server is in the US so when you're from Asia or Europe you can at times get bad download speeds. Nothing we can do about that besides get another server.

11. tapwatah

Which state is the server? Texas?

12. Seph

California.

13. tapwatah

Wow. West coast, eh?

14. Seph

Yes that is the generally accepted location of California.

15. calvin_0

o.k so the problem is location of the server....and thanks for explaining the download speed formula lion.

16. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Close, but not quite. When calculating internet speeds you divide by ten to get from bits to bytes. This is because nearly all modern DSL and Cable internet hookups require a start and stop bit either side of a byte, making each byte 10 bits long.

17. Seph

A byte can't be 10 bit long...

18. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

I get around 128KB/s, the maximum of the connection I use...

19. Patton

Patton Guest

Where are you getting this information???
    Here is some simple math.

A file size of 1 bytes can also be expressed as
    8 bits
    1 bytes
    0.001 kilobytes (abbreviated as KB)
    0.0001 megabytes (abbreviated as M or MB)
    0.00001 gigabytes (abbreviated as G or GB)
    0.000001 terabytes
    0.0000001 petabytes
    0.00000001 exabytes

There's no such thing as a 10bit packet. NO SUCH THING!!

20. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Ok, I believe you, but I actually got the information from a network engineer at my dad's work. He works for the government too. I didn't fully understand what he was saying, but the gist was if you want to get from bits to bytes when dealing with baud you divide by ten. And I wasn't saying that a byte was 10 bits (which it does kinda sound like when I read my last post again), but that it might at well be because of the stop and start bits associated with it. If you google stop and start bits there is quite a lot of information on them.

The Webopedia Computer Dictionary defines them as:

Start Bit:
    "In asynchronous communications, the bit that signals the receiver that data is coming. Every byte of data is preceded by a start bit and followed by a stop bit."

Stop Bit:
    "In asynchronous communications, a bit that indicates that a byte has just been transmitted. Every byte of data is preceded by a start bit and followed by a stop bit."

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm not saying I'm right, just that's what I think.