1. This forum is in read-only mode.

does toothpaste make a cd work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gameboy5.0, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

ok as i am typeing this up i am seeing if toothpaste will work on my fable 2 game. when i was playing i bump itt a little and i herd this scrathing noise. i pull it out and to see that there was a big scrath ring around the disk. my heart sank. i went online to see if ther was any thing to do and i read that tooth paste works. they say put it on the disk then let it dry. the wipe it clean with water and a glass cleaning cloth. do you think this works. all so i am doing this becaues i pay 10 dollors for it from blockbuster so relly i did not lose a lot of money on it

2. sparxxraps

sparxxraps Well-Known Member

Ive never had any luck with that rumor. i heard it years ago but i think its just a tale.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The idea is that toothpaste is abrasive. What you are really doing is polishing the surface of the CD/DVD. Any slightly abrasive liquid would do the same. It would only work on minor scratches, and even then only if you did it correctly and didn't add anymore larger scratches. If you do try it, do so in a uniform manner, I believe they suggest wiping the cloth from the inside of the disc to the outside of the disc. Depending on the size of the scratch, it may not help at all.

Remember, on a CD, the data is not stored on the surface of the disc, it's stored closer to the underside of the label on top. Scratches stop the laser from reading that data layer correctly. CD/DVD repair machines pretty much just shave down the transparent layer to make it smooth again.

4. deaddog1000

deaddog1000 New Member

u should try car polish or go down 2 jb hifi and they will copy the dics and give u thye copy and it works its only 2 bucks

doedernt like lynx and thing they work real good and make it smell nice

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use lynx-I hate that crap.

Car polish sounds a bit much...and jb hifi don't copy-they replace if you have the dockets, and I should know having dealing with them.

I'd just find a place that does cd repairs (game traders offer this for $ and test the disc-if it fails then no charge) or use "skip doctor" which polishes the disc.

Only for australia games rush however.

6. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that you can use a banana that is supposed to help with scratches.

LOL I guess that replaces that new game smell.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

i've heard of flushing it in a toilet, rubbing toothpaste on it, using a lighter, a banana, peanutbutter, and lots of others......i tried them all on my old spyro disc and none of them worked.........that thing was pealing apart when i was done with it!! i just borrowed a friends copy and made an iso of it.......

i've never had luck with that method.......and i wouldn't want to do it again........just get it professionally repaired!!

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I just use a disc doctor.

9. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I make throwing stars out of them if they get too far beyond repair.

10. ir4

ir4 Well-Known Member

...... i never heard that before

11. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I have never had a failure when using Brasso 100% fix every time, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

Good article on how to use Brasso here http://users.fulladsl.be/spb2267/restorecd/restorecd.htm

12. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Well-Known Member

There is also the bait and switch. Go to wallmart. Buy a new copy of game. swap disks bring back same day act irate and annoyed at the quality that managed to get in the store and demand a refund in full, then leave angrily. Get in cr smile, relax and go home and play your game. :3 Remember to leave at least a 30 minute gap between purchase and return. Otherwise people get suspicious. :p

13. ImLeelorp

ImLeelorp Guest

OH DUDE GREATEST FIX

It saved my NFL Street, Saints Row 2 and L4D.

Use the CLEAN eraser of a pencil on the disk going outward from the middle everywhere on the disk. THEN rub `frantically`on the critical scratch spots. I PROMISE IT WORKS. dunno how, but it works