1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Does kindle REALLY have a 1 month battery life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stanley Richards, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Perhaps I need something new. I wanted an E-Book reader to read some digital books. I read that the kindle has a ONE MONTH Battery life. I'm shocked. Is this true?

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

probably on if you keep it on the lowest brightness setting ._.

3. Stanley Richards

It says it lasts a month if you don't use the Wi-Fi

4. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I can't believe ANYONE would buy a device that costs hundreds of dollars that doesn't even have a color display.

If you need one so bad might as well get an ipad or pocket/tablet PC, least you can do other stuff with those.

As for the battery life, it's probably more like "1 MONTH of battery life!...If you always keep it turned off, it will hold its charge for ONE MONTH! WOW!"

5. Stanley Richards

I have to say, I have my doubts about the charging part. But I really don't mind one without color display. It doesn't mean life or death anyway.

6. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

maybe but then again i bet since it is not in color it would waste less power then if it was colored

7. Stanley Richards

Plus you don't really NEED color for novels anyway.

8. personuser

I dunno, I feel like if I buy tech, it's gotta be multipurpose. Even my PS2 is set up to be a media player, emulation system and modern console.

But go with what ya want.

I'd just say save yer money for somethin more useful that reads books and more, but it's your choice.

9. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

As true as that is, a color e-book reader would be kick ass for western comic books.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think its perfectly possible given that the kindle doesn't use standard LCD tech. AFAIK its not backlit either, which is the worst drain on the battery.

11. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

o_O
    you do know everything :p

12. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

of course he does he is a moderator and then again i have seen my friends kindle which is not bright at all.

13. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I think you need to read his title again. :p and yes he knows everything he proves it time and time again...its damn near scary.

14. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

LCD kills the battery, the kindle will probably last a month if you...
    -keep it on at lowest brightness
    -never touch it
    -the page is on a nearly blank page (like the page that has, "To: Whoever" on it

But it would have a month life if you like actually use it. And yet again, they say that you can use it for up to 1 month, UP TO!

15. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

http://gdgt.com/discuss/battery-life-for-kindle-2-how-11m/

Real world battery life, although not one month under regular use, is still incredibly good if you're not using Wifi. We're talking two or three weeks of regular reading before it needs another charge.

EDIT: I can't believe any of you didn't think about actually looking this up and answering the question instead of making guesses and being skeptical. At least loony's working off technical experience and prior knowledge.

16. Stanley Richards

I'd do that if I had any technical knowledge. Also, I couldn't find any sites PROVING it. Any human would be skeptical if the creators claimed it can do xxx

17. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

get a DS. it plays games AND has a homebrew that allows you to read digital novels! and a battery that lasts longer! AND has color!
    well as said in a post in which topic I don't remember, loony said he's been training in the ITT for 3 years. go ahead and PM him. it's true

18. personuser

AND has three-inch screens, the perfect thing to read a book on! XD

...though frotzDS works fairly well for interactive novels from 80s pcs like hitchhiker's guide and leather goddesses of Phobos, though I'm sure that's not what SIR is looking for.

19. Stanley Richards

Something that is actually usable please. Whoever uses the DS screens to read the whole works of Shakespear can die.

20. personuser

I'd say get a kindle only if you read shiteloads of books, then it'll be worth the investment. If you want it just to have it, might as well get an Ipad or Tablet PC so you can do other shit with it too.