1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Do you need to play Uncharted 1 before 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HoodManiac, Jul 26, 2011.

1. HoodManiac

HoodManiac Member

So, i orderd a ps3 with Uncharted 2, Dragon age Origins+Awakening expansion(not sure of name...) and LBp 2 a few days ago. I'm just curious if you need to play Uncharted 1 before 2 or if it doesnt matter? Please answer.....

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Uncharted 1 is a good introduction to the series and lets you get to know Nathan Drake and those he is familiar with beforehand. I still actually haven't played it personally, just read about it some, but you don't need the knowledge to play Uncharted 2. Now that I don't have a PS3 with me, I have no idea when I will play the first game, actually.

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Oh, so that's where your username comes from. For a while I thought that was your real name.

4. What you are asking is essentially "Should I eat my ice cream before dinner?"
    Sure you can, but it will be more satisfying if you play the first one 1st.

5. sonic_fan_num_1

sonic_fan_num_1 Well-Known Member

Agreed, Weedmor_Fatblunt.

It was definitely more satisfying seeing the interactions between Elena and Drake in Uncharted 2 after playing the first one. The first game is an excellent introduction to the characters and the story was much better too. Everything felt connected and you felt like you were solving this big mystery on the island. It was one of the few games where you saw something in the distant background and actually made your way there like when you see the fortress while you're exploring the jungle. It's just fantastic. And it has more Sully to boot.

6. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

Yeah, its recommended you play the first one. Its not like its that expensive either.

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I find that Uncharted: Drake's Fortune has a lot of pacing issues. You finally get to a place that you get to explore, but you have to kill 12 bad guys before you get a chance to explore it. And then you get to the next room and there's 12 more bad guys for you to kill before you get a chance to explore or solve a puzzle.

And this just keeps repeating, over and over.

Uncharted 2 kind of did away with that, at least not as much.

8. ab0456

ab0456 Well-Known Member

yes. Especialy if you are going to get the third game as well

9. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

Hell, just rent it. The game isn't long by any means, but definitely play it before you play Uncharted 2.

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Do you need to play Uncharted 1 to get 2? Hell no.

Forget what everyone else is telling you, quite honestly. 1 isn't needed to understand 2 at all. 2 and 1 are self-contained stories, while they contain the same characters you get to know them and understand them withing a minute of each game.

That being said, from a gameplay perspective, 2 is miles ahead of 1. 1 feels pretty dated at this point.

Imo, the only reason to play 1 is if you've played 2 already and are interested in the series and want a little bit of more with a little bit of a quality sacrifice, then yes. Or if you want to appreciate the differences between the first and second, then yeah play the first. But otherwise, don't bother with the first one, it's okay now, but it's not as good as the second one, by far. If you want your fill in of the first one, watch cutscenes of it on youtube.